Simple Harmonic Motion: Period Dependence on Variables and Curve Fitting

In summary, the student is working on a lab that requires them to show the dependence of the period of a simple pendulum on different variables such as displacement, mass, and length of the pendulum. They are asked to fit curves to their plots and use the curve fits to devise an equation for determining the period of oscillation. They are also asked to compare their equation to the standard equation for a simple pendulum. The student's questions include how to fit a curve to their graphs using Logger Pro and what information can be obtained from doing so, as well as the equation for the oscillation of a simple pendulum. The only equation the student has found is T=2π√(L/g), but they have also attempted
wizzpowa

Homework Statement

I'm doing a lab, and they want me to show the dependence of the period on different variables (displacement, mass, and length of pendulum). They ask me to "Fit curves to your plots to show the dependence. Use the curve fits from your plots to devise an equation for
determining the period of oscillation for a simple pendulum," and then to "Compare your
equation to the standard equation for a simple pendulum."

So my questions are:
-How do I fit a curve to my graphs (i'm using logger pro), and what information can I get from doing that?
-What is the equation for the oscillation of a simple pendulum? All I've found is the one for angles smaller than 1 degrees. Thanks!

Homework Equations

The only equation I have found online is T= 2 pi sqrt (L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
-the differential equation for simple pendulum is ;

md^2x/dt^2=-mgsinβ if we choose small angle it will simple harmonic motion.

IF the length of the rope is L , and displacement is x;
we can write sinβ=x/l

from our differential equation md^2x/dt^2 = -mgx/l /divide both side to m
d^2x/dt^2=-(g/l)x

we know that; a = -ω^2(x)

ω=(g/l)^1/2 from this expression we can say that period is T=2∏(l/g)^1/2

It's means that you have to try with different size of rope.Simple pendulum depence only size of rope.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion: Period Dependence on Variables and Curve Fitting

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point due to the forces of a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

What are the factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion are the mass of the object, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the stiffness of the restoring force.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A*cos(ωt+φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium point, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How does Simple Harmonic Motion relate to real-life examples?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be seen in many real-life examples such as the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibration of guitar strings.

What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and damped harmonic motion?

The main difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and damped harmonic motion is that in Simple Harmonic Motion, the amplitude of the oscillation remains constant over time, while in damped harmonic motion, the amplitude decreases over time due to the effects of friction or other damping forces.