Simple Harmonic Motion-oscillation on an ideal spring

In summary, the frequency of a 0.870kg mass oscillating on an ideal spring is 1.33Hz. When 0.290kg are added or subtracted from the original mass, the frequency can be found using the equation f = c/√M, where c is a constant and M is the new mass. By substituting the solution for M from the equation ω = √(k/M), the k's will cancel out and the frequency can be calculated without finding the force constant of the spring.
MissEuropa

Homework Statement

When a 0.870kg mass oscillates on an ideal spring, the frequency is 1.33Hz.
a) What will the frequency be if 0.290kg are added to the original mass? Try to solve this problem without finding the force constant of the spring.

b) What will the frequency be if 0.290kg are subtracted from the original mass? Try to solve this problem without finding the force constant of the spring.

Homework Equations

f=(1/T) or1/2π*√k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss as to how to approach this without using the spring constant k.
My attempt at a solution so far anyway:
frequency= c/m where c is a constant and m is the mass.
Solving for c in the equation 1.33 Hz=c/0.870kg I found c= 1.151
Then I divided c (1.151) by the original mass plus the added mass.
1.151/(0.870kg + 0.290kg) = .992

But this is incorrect, I want to attempt to do the prompt as instructed without using k but I'm at a loss currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your method was indirectly solving for k hidden inside of that constant you chose.

You can multiply the new mass into the equation
[tex] \omega_1=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m_1}}[/tex]
to get
[tex]\omega_1 \sqrt{m_2}=\sqrt{k\frac{m_2}{m_1}}[/tex]
and you can subsitute in the solution for m2 from the equation
[tex]\omega_2=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m_2}}[/tex]
solved for m2
[tex]\sqrt{m_2}=\frac{\sqrt{k}}{\omega_2}[/tex]

That should lead you on your way, the k's will fall out of the equation.

Oh and just in case the notation I used is new..
[tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]

Last edited:
You are on the right track but f = c/√M
Use this to find c then substitue the new masses

Alucinor said:
I think your method was indirectly solving for k hidden inside of that constant you chose.

You can multiply the new mass into the equation
[tex] \omega_1=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m_1}}[/tex]
to get
[tex]\omega_1 \sqrt{m_2}=\sqrt{k\frac{m_2}{m_1}}[/tex]
and you can subsitute in the solution for m2 from the equation
[tex]\omega_2=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m_2}}[/tex]
solved for m2
[tex]\sqrt{m_2}=\frac{\sqrt{k}}{\omega_2}[/tex]

That should lead you on your way, the k's will fall out of the equation.

Oh and just in case the notation I used is new..
[tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]

Awesome, that did help a lot. I think I was not going down that route because I didn't consider that the k's would cancel out.
:-) Thanks again!

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can provide you with some guidance on how to approach this problem without using the spring constant k.

First, let's review the formula for calculating frequency in simple harmonic motion: f = (1/T) = (1/2π) * √(k/m), where T is the period of oscillation, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

In this case, we are given the frequency (f = 1.33Hz) and the mass (m = 0.870kg). We can use this information to find the period T of the oscillation, which will then allow us to calculate the new frequency when the mass is changed.

To find the period T, we can rearrange the formula to T = 1/f = (2π) * √(m/k). Plugging in the values we have, we get T = (2π) * √(0.870kg/k).

Now, we can use this value of T to calculate the new frequency when the mass is changed. Let's say we add 0.290kg to the original mass, making the new mass m' = 0.870kg + 0.290kg = 1.160kg. Using the same formula, we get the new frequency f' = (1/T') = (1/2π) * √(k/m') = (1/2π) * √(k/1.160kg).

We can see that the only unknown variable in this equation is the spring constant k. However, we can use the fact that the frequency remains the same (1.33Hz) to set up an equation and solve for k.

(1/2π) * √(k/0.870kg) = (1/2π) * √(k/1.160kg)
Squaring both sides, we get:
(k/0.870kg) = (k/1.160kg)
Solving for k, we get k = 0.870kg * 1.160kg = 1.0092kg.

Now, we can plug this value of k into the formula for the new frequency f' and solve for the unknown variable:
f' = (1/2π) * √(1.0092kg/1.160kg)

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion-oscillation on an ideal spring

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system's displacement from its equilibrium position follows a sinusoidal pattern. This means that the system moves back and forth around its equilibrium position with a constant period and amplitude.

2. What is an ideal spring?

An ideal spring is a theoretical concept used in physics to model simple harmonic motion. It is a massless and frictionless spring with perfect elasticity, meaning that it can stretch and compress without losing any energy. In reality, no spring can be completely ideal, but many real springs can be approximated as ideal for certain applications.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of oscillation in simple harmonic motion is affected by three main factors: the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion. A greater mass or stiffer spring will result in a lower frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a higher frequency.

4. How is simple harmonic motion related to Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by an ideal spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed. In simple harmonic motion, the restoring force that brings the system back to its equilibrium position is provided by the ideal spring, making Hooke's law an important concept in understanding this type of motion.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real-world applications?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in a variety of real-world applications, such as pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and even car suspensions. It is also used in engineering for the design of structures that need to withstand vibrations, such as bridges and buildings. Additionally, simple harmonic motion is an important concept in fields like optics and quantum mechanics.