Simple Harmonic Motion on a Uniform Meter Stick

In summary, the problem involves a uniform meter stick with a mass M, pivoted on a hinge and held horizontal by a spring with a spring constant k at the other end. When the stick oscillates vertically, its frequency can be calculated using the equations τ=rFsinθ, f=(1/2π)√(k/m), F=kx, and x=Acos(ωt). By setting up a force diagram and finding the force as a function of x, the equation simplifies to Iα=kxol, where α is the second derivative of θ with respect to time.
NathanLeduc1

Homework Statement

A uniform meter stick of mass M is pivoted on a hinge at one end and held horizontal by a spring with spring constant k attached at the other end. If the stick oscillates up and down slightly, what is its frequency?

Homework Equations

τ=rFsinθ
f=(1/2π)√(k/m)
F=kx
x=Acos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to get started on this one. If you could just provide me with a little start, I might be able to figure it out. Thanks.

The answer, according to the textbook, is (1/2π)sqrt(3k/m)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NathanLeduc1! :smile:
NathanLeduc1 said:
If you could just provide me with a little start, I might be able to figure it out.

Draw a force diagram for a small vertical displacement x, and find the force as a function of x. :wink:

(assume sinx = x)

Ok, so I set up a force diagram and did the following work but I'm stuck again...

At equilibrium:
Ʃτ=Kxol-mg(l/2)=0

After it's been stretched:
Ʃτ=K(x+xo)-mg(l/2)=Iα

This then simplifies to:
Iα=kxol

I wrote α as the second derivative of θ with respect to time but now I'm stuck. Where should I go from here? Thanks.

(just got up :zzz:)
NathanLeduc1 said:
Iα=kxol

I wrote α as the second derivative of θ with respect to time but now I'm stuck. Where should I go from here? Thanks.

α = x''/l :wink:

I would first start by defining the terms and variables in the problem. In this case, we have a uniform meter stick with a mass of M, a pivot point at one end, and a spring with a spring constant of k attached at the other end. The stick is oscillating up and down slightly, so we can assume that it is undergoing simple harmonic motion.

Next, I would use the given equations and information to solve for the frequency of the stick's oscillations. We can use the equation for torque (τ=rFsinθ) to find the restoring force of the spring (F=kx) and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the stick (r=L/2, where L is the length of the stick). This will give us the equation τ=(L/2)kxsinθ.

Since the stick is held horizontal, we can assume that the angle θ is very small and can be approximated as sinθ≈θ. This allows us to simplify the equation to τ=(L/2)kxθ.

Next, we can use the equation for the angular frequency of simple harmonic motion (ω=(1/2π)√(k/m)) to find the frequency of the stick's oscillations. We know that the angular frequency is related to the linear frequency (f) by the equation ω=2πf, so we can rewrite the equation as f=(1/2π)√(k/m).

Finally, we can substitute in the value for x (x=Acos(ωt)) and solve for the frequency. This will give us the final equation, f=(1/2π)√(k/m)cos(ωt).

Plugging in the given values of k and m, we get a frequency of (1/2π)√(3k/m), which matches the answer given in the textbook.

In conclusion, by using the equations for torque and simple harmonic motion, we were able to solve for the frequency of the oscillations of the uniform meter stick. This frequency is dependent on the spring constant and the mass of the stick, and can be described by the equation f=(1/2π)√(k/m).

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion on a Uniform Meter Stick

1. What is simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern along a straight line. On a uniform meter stick, this means that the object will oscillate between two points on the stick at a constant rate.

2. What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick is affected by the length of the stick, the mass of the object attached to the stick, and the force applied to the object.

3. How is the period of simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the stick.

4. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick is directly proportional to the amount of energy in the system. This means that a larger amplitude will result in a higher energy, and vice versa.

5. How does damping affect simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick?

Damping, or the gradual loss of energy in the system, can affect the amplitude and frequency of simple harmonic motion on a uniform meter stick. As damping increases, the amplitude and frequency will decrease, ultimately leading to the motion stopping completely.