Simple harmonic motion of guitar string

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of equations for simple harmonic motion on a guitar string with a frequency of 4.40 x 10^2 Hz and an amplitude of 1.60 mm. The question pertains to finding the initial displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the midpoint of the string. The confusion arises from the different equations for velocity, one being Aw cos (wt + phi) and the other being Aw sin (wt + phi + Pi/2). It is clarified that these equations are equivalent as cosine and sine are just shifted by pi/2. The use of sine and cosine values for pi/2 is also discussed. It is suggested to use the formulas for uniform circular motion, where one component represents displacement
Hydeysgirl

Homework Statement

I have a question pertaining to the simple harmonic motion of the midpoint of a guitar string with a frequency of 4.40 x 10^2 Hz and an amplitude of 1.60 mm. I've been asked to deduce the initial displacement, velocity and acceleration of the midpoint of the string, but am a bit confused as to which equations I should be applying to find the answers.

Homework Equations

x (0) = A sin (phase constant). This is the equation for the initial displacement, but for the velocity I thought it would be Aw cos (wt + phase constant), but have come across another equation in my book that states velocity is Aw sin(wt + phase constant + Pi/2) ??

Also it has been stated in the question that the phase constant is Pi/2 in this instance. Do I substitute the sine and cosine values for Pi/2 which are 1 and 0 respectively, in place of Pi/2. These figures are in the uniform circular motion part of my textbook, but do they also apply to the type of s.h.m in the question above?

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Aw cos (wt + phi) = Aw sin(wt + phi + Pi/2)
Those are equivalent, as the cosine is just a sine shifted by pi/2.

Do I substitute the sine and cosine values for Pi/2 which are 1 and 0 respectively, in place of Pi/2.
I don't understand that question.

You can use the formulas for uniform circular motion, where just one component is your displacement and the other corresponds to the velocity.

Related to Simple harmonic motion of guitar string

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point in a regular pattern. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How does a guitar string produce simple harmonic motion?

A guitar string produces simple harmonic motion when it is plucked or strummed. This causes the string to vibrate back and forth between two fixed points, creating a regular pattern of displacement. The tension and length of the string determine the frequency of the vibrations and the resulting pitch of the sound.

3. What factors affect the simple harmonic motion of a guitar string?

The simple harmonic motion of a guitar string is affected by several factors, including the tension of the string, the length of the string, and the mass of the string. Changes in any of these factors can alter the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations.

4. Is the motion of a guitar string truly simple harmonic?

In theory, the motion of a guitar string can be considered simple harmonic, but in reality, there are other factors that can affect the motion and make it more complex. For example, the shape and thickness of the string, as well as air resistance, can all impact the motion of the string.

5. Can simple harmonic motion be used to tune a guitar?

Yes, simple harmonic motion can be used to tune a guitar. By plucking a string and adjusting the tension until it produces the desired pitch, the guitar can be tuned using the principles of simple harmonic motion. This is often done with the help of a tuning device or by comparing the sound to a reference pitch.