Simple harmonic motion Need help Im studying

In summary, the conversation discusses a spring supporting a mass on an incline and calculating the spring constant and oscillation frequency. Equations for acceleration and frequency are provided and the solution is found to be -8.99 kg*m for the spring constant and 0.9099 Hz for the oscillation frequency. To find the component of acceleration, the sinθ is used to find the force pulling the spring down, which is then used to find the spring extension and ultimately the spring constant.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

A spring, of negligible mass and which obeys Hooke's Law, supports a mass M on an incline which has negligible friction. The figure below shows the system with mass M in its equilibrium position. The spring is attached to a fixed support at P. The spring in its relaxed state is also illustrated.

Mass M has a value of 275 g. Calculate k, the spring constant.

The mass oscillates when given a small displacement from its equilibrium position along the incline. Calculate the oscillation frequency.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/NikkiNik88/plot.png

Homework Equations

a=-k/m(x)
f= 1/2pi (sqrt(k/m))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the mass given and .3m as x. I used the acceleration due to gravity for a.
I got -8.99 kg*m?? Is that correct

And for part b:
I used the equation above to solve for f
I got 0.9099 Hz

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the component of the acceleration due to gravity along the inclined plane. From the graph you can find the sinθ. Then find the force which pulls the spring down. Find the extension of the spring and then k.

I can confirm that your calculations for the spring constant and oscillation frequency are correct. However, it would be helpful to include the units in your answers - the spring constant should have units of N/m and the frequency should have units of Hz. Additionally, you may want to clarify what you mean by "kg*m" in your answer for the acceleration - it is not clear what units you are using for the acceleration. Overall, your approach and calculations are correct for solving this problem.

Related to Simple harmonic motion Need help Im studying

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of motion that occurs when an object is subjected to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in the object oscillating back and forth around its equilibrium point.

2. What are the factors that affect simple harmonic motion?

The factors that affect simple harmonic motion include the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and the stiffness of the restoring force (represented by the spring constant). The amplitude and frequency of the motion also play a role in determining the characteristics of the motion.

3. How is simple harmonic motion represented mathematically?

Simple harmonic motion can be represented mathematically using the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and circular motion?

Simple harmonic motion and circular motion are closely related, as they both involve an object moving in a periodic fashion around a fixed point. In fact, simple harmonic motion can be thought of as a projection of circular motion onto a straight line. The velocity and acceleration of an object in simple harmonic motion are also similar to those in circular motion.

5. How is energy conserved in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the total mechanical energy (the sum of kinetic and potential energy) remains constant throughout the motion. This is because the object is constantly exchanging potential energy (stored in the spring) and kinetic energy (due to its motion). This conservation of energy is a result of the conservative nature of the restoring force in simple harmonic motion.