Simple harmonic motion - initial acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about using an equation to calculate the initial acceleration for SHM, and the confusion about how to incorporate the values for ω, A, and Φ. The question is clarified with the template and the use of radians instead of degrees is discussed. The importance of keeping track of units is also mentioned.
Tzabcan

Homework Statement

To work out the intial acceleration, do we just use the equation:

Screenshot_2.jpg

So at t = 0

We eliminate the wt inside the bracket, and are left with Aω^(2)sin(Φ + π)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part which I'm not so sure on, is if i have values for Φ, do i literally treat π as it's true value or 180?

Say Φ = π/2 (just a random number)...and A= 9 and ω = 3

Will this give me the initial acceleration:

((9* 3^(2)) sin (π/2+ 180) = ((9*3^(2))sin(270)

?

But with my actual example i have, doing it this way gives me a huge massive negative number as the sin of 270 is -1 lol.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tzabcan said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot_2.jpg

So at t = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part which I'm not so sure on, is if i have values for Φ, do i literally treat π as it's true value or 180?

Say Φ = π/2 (just a random number)...and A= 9 and ω = 3

Will this give me the initial acceleration:

((9* 3^(2)) sin (π/2+ 180) = ((9*3^(2))sin(270)

?

But with my actual example i have, doing it this way gives me a huge massive negative number as the sin of 270 is -1 lol.

Thanks
So, you're saying that -81 is a 'huge massive negative number'? Does A have any units attached?

Tzabcan said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot_2.jpg

So at t = 0

What does it mean to "work out the initial acceleration"? To understand that question we need to know what is given. That's the reason for the template.

It looks like pi (radians) was inserted in this equation to account for the negative sign.
For SHM if we omit the phase angle phi
x(t) = A sin w t
v(t) = A w cos w t
a(t) = - A w^2 sin w t = A w^2 sin (w t + pi)
Since sin (theta + pi) = - sin theta

Well, what we have been given is ω = 2.5 x 10^3 s A = 1.8mm Φ = π/2

I'm just confused how I'm supposed to be using this equation.

Do i quite literally just do:

0.0018m * (2.5 x 10^3)^2 sin (π/2 +π) ?

And then take the inside to be sin (270)? or do i take it as 4.7? :s

Thanks

Tzabcan said:
And then take the inside to be sin (270)? or do i take it as 4.7? :s

270° ≈ 4.7 radians.

sin(270°) = -1

sin(4.7 rad) ≈ -1

So, to answer your question, yes. You can use either.

Mister T said:
270° ≈ 4.7 radians.

sin(270°) = -1

sin(4.7 rad) ≈ -1

So, to answer your question, yes. You can use either.

Oh haha, should've put it into the calculator and see for myself. Thanks :)

Or, you could keep track of the units as you go, something you seem to not be doing. It will catch up with you!

Related to Simple harmonic motion - initial acceleration

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth around a fixed equilibrium position, with a constant frequency and amplitude. This motion is often seen in pendulums, springs, and other oscillating systems.

2. What is initial acceleration in simple harmonic motion?

Initial acceleration in simple harmonic motion refers to the acceleration of the body at the beginning of its motion. This acceleration is caused by the restoring force of the system, which is proportional to the displacement of the body from its equilibrium position.

3. How is initial acceleration related to the frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The initial acceleration of a body in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the square of the frequency of the motion. This means that as the frequency increases, the initial acceleration also increases.

4. Can initial acceleration be negative in simple harmonic motion?

Yes, initial acceleration can be negative in simple harmonic motion. This occurs when the body is moving towards its equilibrium position and the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This negative acceleration is still considered to be an initial acceleration, as it is present at the beginning of the motion.

5. How is initial acceleration different from initial velocity in simple harmonic motion?

Initial acceleration and initial velocity are two different measures of motion in simple harmonic motion. Initial acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of velocity at the beginning of the motion, while initial velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of the body at the beginning of the motion. They are related, but serve different purposes in understanding the motion of the system.