Simple Harmonic Motion Homework: Finding Velocity, Time, and Constant Values

In summary: I can do half of the problem. And these are the answers.i. \lambda is mgii. Velocity after reaching "L" length = \sqrt{3gL}iii. Can prove that f + \frac{g}{L}x = 0. ( where "f" = acceleration)iv. Can prove that velocity is zero when the mass reaches the floor.In summary, the mass will be hold at point "O" and released with the starting velocity √(gL). Find the velocity of the mass after it reach "L" distance.
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

Natural length is "l" and when a "m" mass is hanged on the P edge, it dragged by another "L" length. Point "O" is "4L" far from the floor.
1. Find [itex]\lambda[/itex]
2. The mass will be hold at point "O" and released with the starting velocity √(gL). Find the velocity of the mass after it reach "L" distance.
3. Prove that f + [itex]\frac{g}{L}[/itex]x = 0. ( where "f" = acceleration)
4. From the above equation, assume that v2 = [itex]\frac{g}{L}[/itex][ c2 - x2 ] and find the value of "c". (V = velocity)
5. Show that the velocity of mass "m" is zero when it comes to the ground and show that the total time to reach the floor from the point "O" is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] (3[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] - 3 + 2∏)[itex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

1. Tension = Weight [T = mg]
2. m[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = mg - T
3. T = [itex]\lambda[/itex][itex]\frac{e}{L}[/itex]
4. ω = 2∏f ( where "f" = frequency )

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do half of the problem. And these are the answers.
i . [itex]\lambda[/itex] is mg
ii. Velocity after reaching "L" length = [itex]\sqrt{3gL}[/itex]
iii. Can prove that f + [itex]\frac{g}{L}[/itex]x = 0. ( where "f" = acceleration)
iv. Can prove that velocity is zero when the mass reaches the floor.

I can't find a proper value for the constant "c" and prove the time equation.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some help for finding the constant c. For reference, let point B be the point at distance L below point O. Between O and B the mass is in free fall. So, you should be able to find the speed of the mass at B as a free-fall problem. After that, the mass is in SHM and the equation with c in it will apply. Think about the value of x at point B. Then apply the formula with c to the point B.

[I see that you already found the speed at B. Sorry.]

Prove that the first two terms in the answer for the time correspond to the time between O and B. From B to the floor the motion is SHM. Try using the equation of motion for SHM (x as a sinusoidal function of time) to find the time when the mass is at B and the time when the mass is at the floor. For the SHM, I would suggest letting t = 0 correspond to the mass passing through x = 0 (the equilibrium point of the SHM).

Thank you TSny for you reply
I tried to find the constant "c" by applying the following values.
i. When x = 0 ; v = [itex]\sqrt{3gL}[/itex]
So I'm getting a value of "[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]L"​
as "c"

The problem comes when drawing the correspondent circular motion to the SHM. I can see the amplitude is [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]L. Can you please draw it for me? I've drawn what I can think of. Is that "2L" distance from point "o" the equilibrium? and can I consider it as the center (as C in the picture) of the circle?

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
And if I apply "2L" from the point "o" as the equilibrium, I'm getting cos ∂ = √3
That value is making it hard to get the final answer of that time function.

Note that the equilibrium position of the SHM is the point where the mass would hang at rest; namely, at distance 2L below O. Thus, x = 0 corresponds to 2L below O. If you measure x positive downward, then the point located a distance L below O would correspond to x = -L. At distance L below O you have found the velocity to be √(3gL). So, try using this information to find the correct value for c.

Then, you'll need to show that the mass comes to rest at the floor. What does this fact imply for the value of the amplitude of the SHM? What is the value of x at the floor?

Finally, you'll need to use your SHM reference circle to find the time to go from x = -L to the value of x at the floor.

Thanks for the info. I was wrong at calculating "C" then :D I can manage after that. Thanks again!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Homework: Finding Velocity, Time, and Constant Values

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a straight line, with its acceleration proportional to its displacement from a fixed point. This type of motion is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What is an example of simple harmonic motion?

An example of simple harmonic motion is a pendulum swinging back and forth. The pendulum's acceleration is proportional to its displacement from its resting point, and it follows a sinusoidal pattern as it swings.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the rest position, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of back-and-forth motion, while uniform circular motion is a type of rotational motion. In simple harmonic motion, the acceleration is always directed towards the center, while in uniform circular motion, the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity.

5. How is simple harmonic motion related to Hooke's Law?

Simple harmonic motion is closely related to Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that if a spring is stretched or compressed, it will exhibit simple harmonic motion as it returns to its resting state.