Simple Harmonic Motion-Finding the distance traveled by the vibrating object?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance traveled by a vibrating object in a simple harmonic motion. The solution involves using equations and calculating the number of oscillations the object goes through, as well as taking into account the amplitude and time. The final answer for the distance traveled can be found by multiplying the amplitude by the number of full oscillations and adding the additional distance from the leftover time.
insertnamehere
Simple Harmonic Motion-Finding the distance traveled by the vibrating object?

Hi, I would really like to know if my solution to the following question is correct, I would really really really appreciate it.

A hanging spring stretches by 35cm when an object of mass 450g is hung on it at rest. In this situation, we define its position as x=0. The object is pulled down an additional 18cm and released from rest to oscillate without friction. What is its position x at a time 84.4s later?
Find the distance traveled by the vibrating object.

Well, by using the equation -ky-mg=0 (at rest) I derived the equation
y=-mg/k. So i replaced y with 35 cm and m with 0.45kg in order to find k.
With k, i set the equation: x(t)= Acos(wt+c) c=phase constant w=angular frequency
and since this started at rest, there is no phase constant, and amplitude is 18cm so i made the equation
x(t)=0.18cos(5.29t)
then i replace the t with 84.4. Is this right?
And how do i go about finding the "distance traveled by the vibrating object"?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just calculate how many oscillations it goes through and multiply the amplitude with that.

That should be the double-amplitude.

I think you got it right if we agree that positive x is measured downwards.
For the distance traveled you can try T = 2π/ω for the period of the oscillation. Dividing the time by the period wil therefore give the amount of full oscillations (I get 71) plus a bit (0.0790 of an oscillation which converts to a time of 0.0938s). For every full oscillation the mass covers four times the amplitude. Using your equation and the amount of leftover time you can calculate the additional disance it travelled.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion-Finding the distance traveled by the vibrating object?

1. How is simple harmonic motion defined?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with the acceleration of the object being directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point and always directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for finding the displacement of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The equation for displacement in simple harmonic motion is given by x = A * sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. How do you calculate the distance traveled by an object in simple harmonic motion?

The distance traveled by an object in simple harmonic motion can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of the displacement-time graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into small rectangles and finding the sum of their areas, or by using the integral of the displacement equation.

4. What factors affect the distance traveled by an object in simple harmonic motion?

The distance traveled by an object in simple harmonic motion is affected by the amplitude, the frequency, and the initial phase of the motion. A larger amplitude and higher frequency will result in a larger distance traveled, while a larger initial phase will result in a smaller distance traveled.

5. Can the distance traveled by an object in simple harmonic motion be negative?

Yes, the distance traveled by an object in simple harmonic motion can be negative. This occurs when the object moves in the opposite direction from its initial starting point. The displacement equation accounts for this by using the sine function, which can produce negative values.