Simple Harmonic Motion/Energy: Damped Oscillations and Energy Dissipation

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg block oscillating on a spring with a spring constant of 240 N/m and an initial amplitude of 15 cm. The time constant for damping is 4.0 s. The initial total mechanical energy of the system is 2.7 J. After 12 s, the remaining mechanical energy is 0.006692630877 J, resulting in a dissipated energy of 2.69330736912 J.
omgitsrichie

Homework Statement

Problem:
A 2.0 kg block oscillates up and down on a spring with spring constant 240 N/m. Its initial amplitude is 15 cm. If the time constant ("tau") for damping of the oscillation is 4.0 s, how much mechanical energy has been dissipated from the block-spring system after 12 s?

Homework Equations

U_sp = 0.5kx^2
x_max(t) = Ae^(-t/tau)

The Attempt at a Solution

I only have one attempt at this problem left, and this is the best I could come up with, so I need this to be verified...

First I found the initial total mechanical energy (U_sp) within the system:
U_sp = (0.5)(240)(0.15)^2 = 2.7 J

Then I found the maximum amplitude (x_max) for the given time:
x_max(12) = 0.15e^(-12/4) = 0.007468060255 m

I plugged this value back into the spring's potential energy equation to find the remaining mechanical energy left in the system:
U_sp = (0.5)(240)(0.007468060255)^2 = 0.006692630877 J

I subtracted this final energy from its initial to find the dissipated energy from the system:
|deltaE| = 2.7 - 0.006692630877 = 2.69330736912 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore, the amount of mechanical energy that has been dissipated from the block-spring system after 12 s is 2.69330736912 J.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion/Energy: Damped Oscillations and Energy Dissipation

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and always directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. What is damped oscillation?

Damped oscillation is a type of motion where the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the dissipation of energy through friction or other dissipative forces.

3. How is energy dissipated in damped oscillations?

Energy is dissipated in damped oscillations through the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy such as heat or sound, due to the presence of dissipative forces.

4. What is the equation for calculating the energy of a damped oscillator?

The energy of a damped oscillator can be calculated using the equation E = 0.5kx2 + 0.5mv2, where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and m is the mass of the object.

5. How does the damping coefficient affect the energy dissipation in damped oscillations?

The damping coefficient directly affects the rate of energy dissipation in damped oscillations. A higher damping coefficient will result in a faster decrease in amplitude and energy of the oscillations, while a lower damping coefficient will result in a slower decrease.