Simple Harmonic Motion confusion

In summary: So you can find T or f = 1/T.In summary, a 14.7g mass attached to a frictionless horizontal spring reaches a maximum speed of 4.22 m/s after being stretched and released. At x = -2.84 cm, the speed is 1.63 m/s. Using the principle of conservation of energy, the frequency of the oscillating spring can be found by using the equation E = ½mv² + ½kx². When the speed is maximum, the equation becomes E = KEmax, allowing for the calculation of E. When the speed is not maximum, the equation becomes E = KE + PE = 0.5mv² + 0.5
knottlena
1. A 14.7g mass is attached to a frictionless horizontal spring. After the spring was stretched a certain distance and released, its maximum speed was found to be 4.22 m/s. If the speed at x = -2.84 cm is 1.63 m/s, what is the frequency of the oscillating spring?

2. PEe = kx^2/2 E=KE + PE E=mV^2/2 + kx^2/2 (E is conserved) f = 1/3.14 sq. rt of k/m

3. (.0147kg)(-.0284m)^2/2 = .000005928 J

I don't know how to get (k) and honestly have no idea where to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
knottlena said:
3. (.0147kg)(-.0284m)^2/2 = .000005928 J

I don't know how to get (k) and honestly have no idea where to start this problem.

If you know that

E = KE + PE = ½mv2 + ½kx2

When v is maximum what is x ?

That will give you the total energy in the system.

Then you know v for a given x, so just put that into the equation again to get k.

rock.freak667 said:
If you know that

E = KE + PE = ½mv2 + ½kx2

When v is maximum what is x ?

That will give you the total energy in the system.

Then you know v for a given x, so just put that into the equation again to get k.

This is where I am just going around in circles. I have Vmax as 4.22 m/s. That is what the question gives, but without (k) I can't find (x) for the Vmax. I can't find PEmax without the (x). The only x value that I have is the -2.84 cm and that is when the spring is now being compressed not stretched. What am I missing here? Why is this so hard?

If I do KE= 1/2(.0147kg)(1.63m/s)^2 = .0195 J or is it N? PE= 1/2 (k)(.-0284m)= PE= (-.0142)(k) Now is PE supposed to be interconvertable with KE?

Last edited:
knottlena said:
This is where I am just going around in circles. I have Vmax as 4.22 m/s. That is what the question gives, but without (k) I can't find (x) for the Vmax. I can't find PEmax without the (x). The only x value that I have is the -2.84 cm and that is when the spring is now being compressed not stretched. What am I missing here? Why is this so hard?

If I do KE= 1/2(.0147kg)(1.63m/s)^2 = .0195 J or is it N? PE= 1/2 (k)(.-0284m)= PE= (-.0142)(k) Now is PE supposed to be interconvertable with KE?

with Etotal = KE + PE, as KE increases PE decrease, so when KE is maximum PE is zero. So using Vmax you can get Etotal.

Then you use the second condition of v=1.63 m/s when x= -2.84 cm to get k.

rock.freak667 said:
with Etotal = KE + PE, as KE increases PE decrease, so when KE is maximum PE is zero. So using Vmax you can get Etotal.

Then you use the second condition of v=1.63 m/s when x= -2.84 cm to get k.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly on these, I appreciate it. I am trying so hard. I have gained a few more greys on my head for all this. Anyway...

Is KE interchangable with PE here? If that is so then I would take KE=mV^2/2 = .0147kg(1.63m/s)^2/2 = .0195 and KE is interchangeable with PE then I would do PE = kx^2/2 = .0195J = (k)(-.0284m)^2/2 = .0195(2) = (k)(.000807m) = .039/.000807m = k = 48.3 N/m. Now am I supposed to do (PEmax = KEmax) = (kA^2/2 = mV^2/2) = A= the sq. rt. of mVmax^2/k to get the A for the vmax? If I do then I would get this: A = the sq. rt of (.0147kg)(4.22m/s)^2/48.3 N/m = .0736m.

I thought that PEmax=E? If that is the case I got .1308J. If I use the equation E= 1/2 mV^2 + 1/2 kx^2, plugging in the numbers from above I get E= .2617 J. Now would I have to do PE= E-KE to get .2422 J? I don't see how E works into the equation of f = 1/2(3.14) sq. rt of k/m or which E is the right E...I can't use f = 1/T because I don't have time...wait a minute...could I do T = 2(3.14) sq. rt of m/k and then do 1/T to get the frequency? Do I need E in order to find a new (k)? I thought that (k) always stayed the same?
Say I use E = .1309J then I would get k = 2(.1309)/.0736 = 3.56 (seems like a small k #). If I use E = .2617 I get k = 2(.2617)/.0736 = 7.114. I am confused as to how my (k) can go from 48.3 to either of these #'s. Am I any closer to the right answer yet?

knottlena said:
Is KE interchangable with PE here? If that is so then I would take KE=mV^2/2 = .0147kg(1.63m/s)^2/2 = .0195 and KE is interchangeable with PE then I would do PE = kx^2/2 = .0195J = (k)(-.0284m)^2/2 = .0195(2) = (k)(.000807m) = .039/.000807m = k = 48.3 N/m. Now am I supposed to do (PEmax = KEmax) = (kA^2/2 = mV^2/2) = A= the sq. rt. of mVmax^2/k to get the A for the vmax? If I do then I would get this: A = the sq. rt of (.0147kg)(4.22m/s)^2/48.3 N/m = .0736m.

During the entire motion, KE is converted to PE and vice versa for the the other part of the motion.

So when KE is max, PE is zero and when PE is max KE is zero.

From E = KE + PE, when v = 4.22 (max KE) the equation becomes

E = KEmax, so you can sub in the values and get the value for E.

During any moment that is not max KE or PE, the equation is

E = KE + PE = 0.5mv2 + 0.5kx2

you have E from the first part, then they gave you v for some x. (so you can find k)

Now when you get k, you know that ω=√(k/m) where ω = 2π/T.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion confusion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth around an equilibrium position due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. It is a fundamental concept in physics and can be observed in a variety of natural and man-made systems.

2. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is characterized by a sinusoidal displacement and velocity pattern, whereas other types of motion may have more complex patterns. Additionally, simple harmonic motion is always accompanied by a conservative force, meaning that mechanical energy is conserved throughout the motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and a vibrating guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the motion of a bobblehead on a car dashboard, and the motion of a diving board after being released.

4. How is the period of simple harmonic motion related to its frequency?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. The period and frequency are inversely related, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

5. What factors affect the amplitude of simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is affected by the initial displacement from the equilibrium position and the magnitude of the restoring force. The greater the initial displacement, the larger the amplitude of the motion. Similarly, a stronger restoring force will result in a larger amplitude of motion.