Simple Harmonic Motion conceptual question

In summary: The net force on the mass is zero at equilibrium (when the object is at its lowest point on the oscillation), and positive at the top and negative at the bottom of the oscillation.
getty102

Homework Statement

Answer the following questions for a mass that is hanging on a spring and oscillating up and down with simple harmonic motion. Note: the oscillation is small enough that the spring stays stretched beyond its rest length the entire time.

Answers available: Top, Equilibrium, Bottom, Top and Bottom, and Nowhere
My answers are underlined.
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

1. Where in the motion is the speed a maximum? Equilibrium
2. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the force from the spring on the mass zero? Top
3. Where in the motion is the acceleration zero? Equilibrium
4. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the acceleration a maximum? Top and Bottom
5. Where in the motion is the speed zero? Top and Bottom
6. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the force from the spring on the mass a maximum? Bottom
7. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the net force on the mass a maximum? Top
8. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the net force on the mass zero? Equilibrium

There are two separate yes/no questions

1.When the object is at half its amplitude from equilibrium, is its speed half its maximum speed? Yes
2. When the object is at half its amplitude from equilibrium, is the magnitude of its acceleration at half its maximum value? Yes

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Explain your reasoning behind your answers.

getty102 said:

Homework Statement

Answer the following questions for a mass that is hanging on a spring and oscillating up and down with simple harmonic motion. Note: the oscillation is small enough that the spring stays stretched beyond its rest length the entire time.

Answers available: Top, Equilibrium, Bottom, Top and Bottom, and Nowhere
My answers are underlined.
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

1. Where in the motion is the speed a maximum? Equilibrium
2. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the force from the spring on the mass zero? Top
3. Where in the motion is the acceleration zero? Equilibrium
4. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the acceleration a maximum? Top and Bottom
5. Where in the motion is the speed zero? Top and Bottom
6. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the force from the spring on the mass a maximum? Bottom
7. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the net force on the mass a maximum? Top
8. Where in the motion is the magnitude of the net force on the mass zero? Equilibrium

There are two separate yes/no questions

1.When the object is at half its amplitude from equilibrium, is its speed half its maximum speed? Yes
2. When the object is at half its amplitude from equilibrium, is the magnitude of its acceleration at half its maximum value? Yes

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of your post that I've highlighted in bold is important. The spring is always stretched at all times during the motion. Therefore, the restoring force from the spring is always upwards and non-zero. That's why your response to 2 is wrong.

Your response to 7 contradicts your response to 4. The latter is correct -- the acceleration is the same in magnitude at both ends of the oscillation, and it is at a maximum. This means, just by Newton's second law, that the net force has the same magnitude at both ends, and is at a maximum.

But you don't have to just take my word for it. Write an expression down for the net force on the mass. It will depend partly on the spring force, which in turn will depend on the vertical position, y, of the spring. (Note: y is measured from the "rest" length of the spring). You can easily compute y0, the equilibrium position. You can also compute the force at positions y0 + A and y0 - A (i.e. at the two endpoints of the motion), where A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion conceptual question

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a period that remains the same regardless of the amplitude. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Periodic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion, but not all periodic motion is considered simple harmonic. Periodic motion refers to any motion that repeats itself after a certain amount of time, while Simple Harmonic Motion specifically refers to a type of periodic motion with a constant amplitude and period.

4. What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the motion. These factors can be represented by the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

5. Can Simple Harmonic Motion occur in other forms besides linear motion?

Yes, Simple Harmonic Motion can occur in other forms besides linear motion. It can also occur in rotational motion, as seen in pendulum clocks or the motion of a swinging door. However, the restoring force must still be directly proportional to the displacement for it to be considered Simple Harmonic Motion.