Simple Harmonic Motion Archimedes

In summary, the body of uniform cross-sectional area A and mass density ρ floats in a liquid of density ρ0 (where ρ < ρ0), and at equilibrium displaces a volume V. Making use of Archimedes principle, the period of small amplitude oscillations about the equilibrium position is T = 2(pi)\sqrt{V/(gA)}.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

A body of uniform cross-sectional area A and mass density ρ floats in a liquid
of density ρ0 (where ρ < ρ0), and at equilibrium displaces a volume V.
Making use of Archimedes principle (that the buoyancy force acting on a
partially submerged body is equal to the mass of the displaced liquid),

show that the period of small amplitude oscillations about the equilibrium position is

T = 2(pi)[tex]\sqrt{V/(gA)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

fnet = mg - p0*V*g

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I wanted to set up a differential equation.

ma + p0*V*g - mg = 0

or

m * x'' + p0*V*g - mg = 0

however, I know this not to be the right equation because I'm missing an "x" term to make this solvable.

so then I went another way

ma = g(m-p0V)
a = g - p0*V/m

but a = -(z)*w^2 ; z = amplitude

and

p0*V/m = 1
---------------------

-(z)*w^2 = g - 1

(z)*w^2 = 1 - g

w^2 = (1-g)/z

w = [tex]\sqrt{(1-g)/z}[/tex]

and then T = 2(pi) / w

but this isn't the right answer :(

Physics news on Phys.org
When the floating object is in equilibrium, the buoyant force equals the weight and Fnet = 0. Now push the object in by amount y. There will be an unbalanced force because of the extra buoyant force and the net force is this extra force. That's the left side of Newton's Second Law. Can you find an expression for it? As usual the right side is ma or m d2y / dt2.

Ah ok, I drew a picture - and I got that the buoyant force = A*y*g*m where A*y represents the volume of water being displaced when I push the mass a distance y from equilibrium and mg normalizes this to be the weight of that section of the block

So my diff eq:

m * y'' + A*g*m*y = 0

y'' + A*g*y = 0

Solving I get w = (A*g)^1/2

Period = 2(pi)/w

Period = 2(pi) [tex]\sqrt{1/(A*g)}[/tex]

I'm still off by a little, I don't understand how the answer has volume and I'm left with 1

Last edited:
Look at your diff. eq. It is dimensionally incorrect. The first term m*y'' is a force and that's OK, but the other term has mg (already a force) multiplying A*y which is a volume. What does Archimedes' principle say about the buoyant force?

kuruman said:
Look at your diff. eq. It is dimensionally incorrect. The first term m*y'' is a force and that's OK, but the other term has mg (already a force) multiplying A*y which is a volume. What does Archimedes' principle say about the buoyant force?

I'm still having difficulty with this problem. Archimedes' principle says that the buoyant force is equivalent to the weight of the liquid displaced.

But I'm having trouble mathematically describing what the weight of the liquid displaced is.

I understand it's the weight of the block which is burrowing into the water and thus making the displacement.

So I take it I assume the displaced liquid is directly proportional to the weight of the block.

m * x'' = F buoyant

I just can't figure out the correct equation. Any hints ??

I'm doing this same problem, and am currently stuck looking at the following:

mx'' + ρ0*(V+A*x) - mg

I'm really stuck on this one, and I'm not quite sure why. I think that it might just be because I haven't done physics since May...

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Archimedes

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the motion repeats itself over time in a predictable manner.

2. Who is Archimedes and what is his contribution to SHM?

Archimedes was a renowned Greek mathematician, physicist, and engineer who lived in the 3rd century BC. He is credited with discovering the principle of buoyancy, which explains why objects float in fluids. This principle is the basis for understanding the restoring force in SHM, which is essential for studying the motion of objects in fluids.

3. What are the factors that affect the period of SHM in Archimedes' principle?

The period of SHM in Archimedes' principle is affected by two main factors: the mass of the object and the strength of the restoring force. The period increases as the mass increases and decreases as the restoring force increases.

4. How does SHM relate to Archimedes' principle?

SHM and Archimedes' principle are closely related because both involve the concept of a restoring force. In SHM, the restoring force is due to the object's displacement from the equilibrium position, while in Archimedes' principle, the restoring force is due to the object's displacement from the fluid's surface. Both principles rely on this restoring force to explain the motion of objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of SHM and Archimedes' principle?

SHM and Archimedes' principle have many practical applications. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a mass-spring system, and the movement of waves in water. Archimedes' principle is also used in designing ships, submarines, and other objects that float in fluids.