Simple harmonic motion and time

In summary, a particle moving along the x-axis in simple harmonic motion starts from its equilibrium position, the origin, at t=0 and moves to the right. The amplitude of its motion is 1.70 cm and the frequency is 2.00 Hz.
nemzy
A particle moving along the x-axis in simple harmonic motion starts from its equilibrium position, the origin, at t = 0 and moves to the right. The amplitude of its motion is 1.70 cm and the frequency is 2.00 Hz.

Determine the total distance traveled between t = 0 and t = 0.75 s.

how would you solve this?

well i can easily solve for T, w, A, etc..

but how can i find the total distance traveled between those 2 points? is there an easy formula i am overlooking?

i hate oscillations

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:
It's the difference between two values of "x".

Daniel.

i am still clueless?

what do u mean the diff bw the two values of x?

how can i find the value of x at a given time??

all i know is the amplitude...but that isn't a value of x is it?

You know the amplitude,the frequency,u can compute the initial phase...
You know everything...:wink:

Daniel.

What is the period of the motion? Knowing that will tell you whether the motion was all in one direction, in which case the problem is easy, or if you need to take into account one or more changes of direction.

do i use this formula to solve for x as a function of time?
x(t)= Acos(wt+&)

where w=angular frequency and &= initial phase?

in this case the t=the time right, not the period?

and...how do i know what & is?

when i have pi in cos or sin, do i use the radian or degree mode in my calc?

if i use radian or degree diff answers come out

I'm not an expert and am currently studying this now so if it don't make no sense disreguard it okay: so we have f=2 T=0.75 A=1.7

so we could use the equation (x=distance)
x = sin A (2π × f × t) so: sin 0.17 (2π × 2 × 0.75) = 1.59m

SHM is always done using radians

Related to Simple harmonic motion and time

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and frequency. This type of motion can be observed in systems such as a mass on a spring, a pendulum, or a vibrating guitar string.

2. How is the period of simple harmonic motion related to the frequency?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. The period and frequency are reciprocals of each other, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and time?

The motion of an object in simple harmonic motion is directly related to time. As time passes, the object will continue to oscillate back and forth with a constant period and frequency. The position, velocity, and acceleration of the object can also be described as a function of time.

4. How do amplitude and frequency affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. As the amplitude increases, the object will oscillate with a larger range of motion. The frequency of simple harmonic motion is determined by the object's mass and the force acting on it. A higher frequency means the object will oscillate more times in a given amount of time.

5. What is the formula for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the force constant of the system in newtons per meter. This formula assumes that there is no friction or damping present in the system.