Simple Harmonic Motion and frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of a platform's vibration in relation to a mass undergoing simple harmonic motion. The mass loses contact with the platform when the amplitude exceeds 6.2 cm and the question is to find the frequency, f (in Hz), using g = 9.8ms−2. One participant suggests considering the relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration and bodies in free-fall, while the other participant believes the maximum value of acceleration is equal to g. It is determined that the frequency is 2Hz when maximum acceleration equals g.
andyatk14

Homework Statement

A mass sits on a platform undergoing simple harmonic motion in the vertical
direction. The mass loses contact with the platform when the amplitude exceeds
6.2 cm. What is the frequency, f (in Hz), of the platform’s vibration? Take g =
9.8ms−2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about SHM, and in particular, the relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration? How about bodies in free-fall? What do you know about them?

Thank you for your reply. I have an answer for the frequency of 2Hz which I got by saying the maximum value of the acceleration was equal to g, which is equal to omega^2*A, where A is the amplitude. I believe that may be right.

andyatk14 said:
Thank you for your reply. I have an answer for the frequency of 2Hz which I got by saying the maximum value of the acceleration was equal to g, which is equal to omega^2*A, where A is the amplitude. I believe that may be right.

If you can justify why maximum acceleration should equal g then I'd say you're done.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of simple harmonic motion. Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position, and the motion is sinusoidal in nature. This type of motion is commonly observed in systems such as springs, pendulums, and mass-spring systems.

In this problem, we are given a mass undergoing simple harmonic motion on a platform. We are also given the maximum amplitude of the motion, which is when the mass loses contact with the platform. This means that the platform's vibration is strong enough to overcome the gravitational force acting on the mass.

To calculate the frequency of the platform's vibration, we can use the equation for the period of simple harmonic motion, T = 1/f, where T is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the motion and f is the frequency. We can also use the equation for the maximum amplitude of simple harmonic motion, A = ω^2/g, where A is the maximum amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Substituting the given values, A = 6.2 cm = 0.062 m and g = 9.8 m/s^2 into the equation A = ω^2/g, we can solve for ω. This gives us ω = √(Ag) = √(0.062*9.8) = 0.248 rad/s.

Next, we can use the equation T = 1/f to solve for the period, T. Since the period is the time it takes for one complete cycle, we can assume that when the mass loses contact with the platform, it has completed one full cycle. Therefore, the period is equal to the time it takes for the mass to reach its maximum amplitude. This can be calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where π is the constant pi.

Substituting the value of ω, we get T = 2π/0.248 = 25.48 s.

Finally, we can use the equation f = 1/T to calculate the frequency, f. Substituting the value of T, we get f = 1/25.48 = 0.039 Hz.

Therefore, the frequency of the platform's vibration is 0.039 Hz.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion and frequency

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How is frequency related to simple harmonic motion?

Frequency is the number of cycles or oscillations that occur per unit of time in simple harmonic motion. It is directly related to the period of the motion, with a higher frequency corresponding to a shorter period and vice versa. The frequency can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles by the time it takes for those cycles to occur.

3. What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is affected by two main factors: the mass of the object and the stiffness of the restoring force. A heavier object will have a lower frequency, while a stiffer restoring force will result in a higher frequency.

4. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of periodic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of periodic motion because it is characterized by a linear restoring force and a constant period. Other types of periodic motion, such as circular or elliptical motion, have different forms of restoring forces and varying periods.

5. What are some real-world examples of simple harmonic motion?

There are many real-world examples of simple harmonic motion, including the motion of a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, a vibrating guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a horizontal spring. These examples all exhibit a back-and-forth motion around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period.