Simple Harmonic Motion and angular frequency

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal plank of length L and mass m, supported by a spring with force constant k at one end. The plank is displaced by angle θ and released to move with simple harmonic motion. Using the equation for angular frequency and considering the forces acting on the plank, the correct expression for the angular frequency is ##\sqrt{\frac{k\theta L-Mg\frac{L}{2}}{3ML}}##.
Abid Rizvi

Homework Statement

A horizontal plank of mass m and length L is pivoted at one end. The plank's other end is supported by a spring of force constant k (see the figure below). The plank is displaced by a small angle θ from its horizontal equilibrium position and released. Find the angular frequency with which the plank moves with simple harmonic motion. (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)

The picture is uploaded

Homework Equations

##\omega## = ##\frac{\tau}{I}## (where omega is angular frequency)
F = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said the force that puts the plank back to equilibrium is kx. Using the definition of arc length, I said kx = k##\theta##L. A force of Mg is also acting on the plank, so I had the total torque = K##\theta##L-Mg*##\frac{L}{2}## I know that the moment of inertia is ##\frac{1}{3}##M##L^2##. Using the formula for ##\omega##, I had ##\sqrt{\frac{k\theta L-Mg\frac{L}{2}}{3ML}}## But this is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 15-p-057.gif
    15-p-057.gif
    5 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abid Rizvi said:
kx = kθ\thetaL
This is a force, not a torque.

The units don't match afterwards due to this mistake.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion and angular frequency

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant amplitude and a constant period. This means that the object's displacement from its equilibrium position follows a sinusoidal curve.

2. What is the formula for angular frequency?

The formula for angular frequency is ω = 2π/T, where ω represents angular frequency in radians per second and T represents the period of the motion in seconds. This formula relates the frequency of the motion to the period and allows us to calculate the angular frequency of an object undergoing SHM.

3. How does amplitude affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion affects the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. The larger the amplitude, the larger the displacement of the object. However, the period and angular frequency of the motion remain constant regardless of the amplitude.

4. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to circular motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be thought of as a projection of circular motion onto a straight line. This means that an object undergoing SHM is moving in a circular path, but its motion appears as a straight line due to the projection. The angular frequency in SHM is equivalent to the angular velocity in circular motion.

5. What is the difference between angular frequency and linear frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear frequency is a measure of the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular frequency is measured in radians per second, while linear frequency is measured in cycles per second. In Simple Harmonic Motion, the angular frequency remains constant, but the linear frequency varies depending on the amplitude of the motion.