Simple harmonic motion acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration equation for a damped harmonic oscillator and where the magnitude of acceleration is maximum. The equation takes into account damping force and includes a term for the speed. There is agreement that at points P and R, the magnitude of velocity is 0, but the displacement from equilibrium is larger at point P. The speaker also raises concerns about incorrect answers given for the question.
pyman999

Homework Statement

10630a3ad979be4a0d95323fe944ac7c.png

Homework Equations

acceleration = -(2*pi*f)^2 * x, where f is the frequency and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the acceleration would be greatest when the displacement from equilibrium is greatest, so at point P, but the answer is at point R and I'm not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re relevant equation: since there is damping, the expression for the acceleration is a little different: generally the damping force is taken to be proportional to the speed, so there is a term in the force ##-\beta v## and we write $$ m a + \beta v + k x = 0 $$ so that $$a = -{\beta \over m} v - {k\over m} x$$

Re where magnitude of a is maximum: I agree with you. Both at P and R |v| = 0 and |x| is bigger at P.

BvU said:
Re relevant equation: since there is damping, the expression for the acceleration is a little different: generally the damping force is taken to be proportional to the speed, so there is a term in the force ##-\beta v## and we write $$ m a + \beta v + k x = 0 $$ so that $$a = -{\beta \over m} v - {k\over m} x$$

Re where magnitude of a is maximum: I agree with you. Both at P and R |v| = 0 and |x| is bigger at P.

I'm fairly sure the answers I have been given for this question are wrong then, as I'm also getting weird results for later parts, thanks.

Related to Simple harmonic motion acceleration

1. What is simple harmonic motion acceleration?

Simple harmonic motion acceleration is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal or oscillatory motion that repeats itself over time.

2. How is acceleration related to simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement and is always directed towards the equilibrium point. This means that as the displacement increases, so does the acceleration, and as the displacement decreases, the acceleration decreases as well.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in simple harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating acceleration in simple harmonic motion is a = -ω²x, where a is the acceleration, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

4. Can the acceleration in simple harmonic motion ever be zero?

Yes, the acceleration in simple harmonic motion can be zero at the equilibrium point. This is because at this point, the displacement is zero and therefore the acceleration is also zero. However, the velocity is at its maximum at this point.

5. How does the amplitude affect the acceleration in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, does not affect the acceleration in simple harmonic motion. The acceleration is only affected by the displacement from equilibrium, not the amplitude.