Simple Harmonic Motion Acceleration Calculation and Equations

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding an object oscillating in simple harmonic motion. The answer to the question is 1.3X10-6cm/s2 and the relevant equations are discussed. The person asking the question is struggling to find the correct equation to use and has attempted to plug in numbers without success. It is determined that the answer should be zero based on the given information, but there may be a discrepancy in the period of the oscillation.
Winegar12

Homework Statement

I have been stuck on this question for quite some time. I'm trying to study for the test and actually have the answer, but I can't figure it out. The answer is 1.3X10-6cm/s2
The following graph represents an object oscillating in simple harmonic motion. What is the
acceleration of the object at t = 10.0 s?
You can find the graph here http://rwdacad01.slcc.edu/academics/dept/physics/tvanausdal/2210/exams/sampleexam5.pdf and scroll down to number 9.
I'm assuming that T=.5 and A=20cm

Homework Equations

These are the equations I've been trying to use

a=[tex]\omega[/tex]2x=-([tex]\frac{k}{m}[/tex])x
a=-([tex]\frac{2pi}{T}[/tex])2(Xo)sin([tex]\frac{2pi*t}{T}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to plug in numbers and read somewhere that Xo is amplitude, but that didn't work either. I don't know mass, so I don't know how to use the first equation, and I don't know how to find k. Anyways, I hope someone can give me a few pointers on what I am doing wrong and if the equation I am using is wrong or what equation I should use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First write down the position function.

[tex]x(t)=x_{0}sin(\omega t)[/tex]

We use sine since, at t=0, the position is zero. Then differentiate twice with respect to time to get the acceleration.

The first equation, involving [tex]k/m[/tex], is not relevant here.

So was I right to put the amplitude in for xo and then for [tex]\omega[/tex] what would I use to plug in for that, is it 2pi/T?

It seems to me that the answer should be zero, unless there is some discrepancy and the period is not actually half of a second. If the period was half a second then the argument of the sine function would be

[tex]\omega t=\frac{2 \pi}{T}t=4 \pi t= 40 \pi [/tex]

the sine of which is zero. Since the second derivative of the position function given in my above post will be proportional to the sine function, acceleration should be zero.

I understand your frustration with trying to solve this problem. It can be difficult to figure out the correct equations and values to use without proper guidance. Here are a few pointers to help you with this question:

1. First, let's clarify the given information. The graph shows an object oscillating with an amplitude of 20 cm and a period of 0.5 seconds. This means that the object is moving back and forth between 20 cm and -20 cm every 0.5 seconds.

2. To find the acceleration of the object at t = 10.0 s, we can use the equation a = -\omega^2x, where \omega is the angular frequency and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. To find \omega, we can use the equation \omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}, where T is the period of the oscillation. In this case, T = 0.5 seconds, so \omega = \frac{2\pi}{0.5} = 4\pi.

4. Now, we need to find the displacement of the object at t = 10.0 s. Since the object is oscillating with a period of 0.5 seconds, at t = 10.0 s, the object will have completed 20 oscillations. This means that the displacement will be 20 times the amplitude, or 20(20 cm) = 400 cm.

5. Plugging in the values we have found, we get a = - (4\pi)^2(400 cm) = -1600\pi^2 cm/s^2.

6. Finally, we can convert this to the desired units of cm/s^2 by dividing by 100 and multiplying by 1 second^2, giving us a = - 16\pi^2 cm/s^2. This can also be written as a = - 1.6\times 10^2 \pi^2 cm/s^2 or approximately -1.3\times 10^{-6} cm/s^2.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to approach this problem. Remember to always check your units and use the correct equations for the given situation. Good luck on your test!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Acceleration Calculation and Equations

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What are the necessary conditions for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The necessary conditions for Simple Harmonic Motion are a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement, a mass that moves back and forth along a straight line, and no energy loss due to friction or other external forces.

3. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A * cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the period of Simple Harmonic Motion depend on the mass and spring constant?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass and directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that a larger mass or a stiffer spring will result in a longer period of motion.

5. Can Simple Harmonic Motion occur in other systems besides a mass-spring system?

Yes, Simple Harmonic Motion can occur in other systems such as a pendulum, a vibrating string, or an oscillating circuit. As long as the necessary conditions for Simple Harmonic Motion are met, it can occur in various types of systems.