Simple gravitational force problem (Gregory Classical Mechanics)

In summary, this homework asks you to find the gravitational force exerted on a symmetric sphere by an infinitesimal area on a plane. You integrate the parallel and perpendicular components of the force, and use polar coordinates for the area of the plane.
mathmonkey

Homework Statement

This is question 3.7 from Gregory's Classical Mechanics textbook.

A symmetric sphere of radius a and mass M has its center a distance b from an infinite plane containing a uniform distribution of mass ## \sigma ## per unit area. Find the gravitational force exerted on the sphere

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand, a solid sphere can be represented as if it were a single particle of mass M concentrated at its center of mass, call this point ##S##. So, the way I approached the problem was summing (integrating) up the forces exerted on this point by each infinitesimally small area ##dxdy## on the plane.

The mass of each infinitesimal on the plane is ##m = \sigma dA##. I also let ##\theta## represent the angle between SB (where B is the straight line distance from the point S) and the line drawn from S to the infinitesimal. Then, the equation I got was:

## F = MG \int _A \sigma \cos (\theta) / R^2 dA ##
## F = MG\sigma \int _A R\cos (\theta) / R^3 dA ##
## F= MG\sigma \int _A b/R^3 dA ##
## F = MGb\sigma \int _{-\infty}^\infty \int _{-\infty}^\infty 1/(x^2 + y^2 + b^2)^{3/2} dxdy ##

If anyone could let me know if I have set this up correctly (I get the feeling I have not), and how to approach this problem, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reduction of the problem to that of a point mass is correct.

Then, as far as I can see, you integrate the parallel component of the force, ignoring the perpendicular component. I think you owe us an explanation here.

So from what I understand, if we drop a straight line from the center of the sphere S to where it meets the plane, say that point is O, we'll have a line SO perpendicular to the plane of length ##b##. Then if we drop another straight line from S to a particular point on the plane, say X, then SOX becomes a right triangle where the angle created by the lines SO and SX is ##\theta##. Also:

##|SO| = b##
##|OX| = R \sin(\theta)##
##|SX| = R##

Then, I supposed by symmetry, that all the component forces by each point ##X## in the plane will sum up to a single perpendicular force pointing in the direction of ##SO##. So, if each point ##X## attracts S in its direction with a force of magnitude

## F' = m(\sigma dA)G/R^2 ##

Then its force in the direction of SO ought to be ##F = F'\cos (\theta)##. That's how I derived my integral in the form of

##F = mG \int _A \sigma \cos (\theta)/R^2 dA ##

Please help me understand where I've made my error! Thanks again!

There is no error in your derivation. It is entirely correct. You just need to finish integration.

Hmm, then maybe I am having trouble with simplifying the integral. What is the most efficient way to do it? What I thought to do is this:

##F = MG\sigma \int _A \cos (\theta) / R^2 dA ##
##F = MG\sigma \int _A R\cos (\theta) /R^3 dA ##
##F = MG\sigma \int _A b / R^3 dA##

After this, I assumed by the pythagorean theorem that ##R = \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2 + b^2 }##, but then I end up with what looks like a nasty integral:

##F = MG\sigma b \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} 1/ (\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + b^2})^3 dxdy##

Is there another way to approach this, or am I simplifying the integral wrongly? Thanks!

Ah never mind, I've figured it out. The better way is to use polar coordinates for the area of the plane. The integral simplifies to

## F = MGb\sigma \int _{0}^{2\pi} \int _{0}^{\infty} r/(r^2+b^2)^{3/2}drd\phi ##

Thanks for the help.

Related to Simple gravitational force problem (Gregory Classical Mechanics)

1. What is the simple gravitational force problem in Gregory Classical Mechanics?

The simple gravitational force problem in Gregory Classical Mechanics is a basic problem that involves finding the force of attraction between two objects due to gravity. It follows Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force of gravity between two objects in Gregory Classical Mechanics?

To calculate the force of gravity between two objects, you will need to know the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The formula for calculating the force of gravity is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of the gravitational constant in Gregory Classical Mechanics?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the strength of the force of gravity between two objects. It is a universal constant and its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2. It is used in the calculation of the force of gravity between two objects in Gregory Classical Mechanics and other laws and equations related to gravity.

4. Can the force of gravity be negative in Gregory Classical Mechanics?

No, the force of gravity cannot be negative in Gregory Classical Mechanics. Since it is a force of attraction between two objects, it is always positive. However, the direction of the force can be negative if the two objects are moving away from each other, but the magnitude of the force will always be positive.

5. What are some real-life applications of the simple gravitational force problem in Gregory Classical Mechanics?

The simple gravitational force problem in Gregory Classical Mechanics has many real-life applications, including calculating the force of gravity between celestial bodies such as planets and stars, predicting the motion of satellites and spacecraft, and understanding the orbits of planets and moons in our solar system. It is also used in engineering and construction projects to ensure the stability and safety of structures by considering the force of gravity acting on them.