Simple gamma matrices question

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that a matrix that commutes with all four gamma matrices/Dirac matrices is a multiple of the identity. The speaker considers using the completeness properties of gamma matrices to form a basis and using this to deduce the statement. However, they also mention that explicitly computing the commutator of an arbitrary 4x4 matrix with the gamma matrices can also lead to the same conclusion, but may not be as elegant. The conversation also touches on the issue of representation in this approach.
Ameno
Hi

I've just read the statement that a matrix that commutes with all four gamma matrices / Dirac matrices has to be a multiple of the identity. I don't see that; can anyone tell me why this is true?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You can deduce this yourself using the completeness properties of gamma matrices. By considering (schematically) 1, [tex] \gamma [/tex], [tex] \gamma \gamma [/tex], etc. one can form a basis of matrices.

If you can decide:
1) that this basis is complete for 4x4 matrices
2) that nothing in this basis besides 1 commutes with all the [tex] \gamma [/tex]
then you will have what you want.

Thanks.

OK, I also had this answer in mind (which I already found), but I thought that there is a simpler answer because this statement appeared at a point in the script where that basis has not yet been introduced. Perhaps I'll find a simpler answer, but I'm also fine with this one. At least I see that it's not that simple.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily claim this is the most elegant method. One could even explicitly compute the commutator of an arbitary 4x4 matrix with the four gamma matrices. This gives 4 4x4 linear matrix equations that will give the same conclusion. This is even less elegant but requires no mention of a basis.

Yes, but wouldn't this require a choice of representation? It would not require a choice of basis, but it wouldn't be canonical in the sense of independence of representation.

Related to Simple gamma matrices question

1. What are gamma matrices used for in physics?

Gamma matrices are used in physics to represent the Dirac spinors, which describe the spin of a fermion particle. They are also used to represent the Lorentz transformations in special relativity.

2. How many gamma matrices are there in total?

There are a total of 4 gamma matrices, usually denoted by γ0, γ1, γ2, and γ3. These matrices are 4x4 matrices that satisfy the Clifford algebra.

3. What are the properties of gamma matrices?

Gamma matrices have several important properties, including anti-commutativity, tracelessness, and Hermitian conjugation. They also satisfy the Clifford algebra, which is a set of mathematical relations that govern their behavior.

4. How are gamma matrices related to spinors?

Gamma matrices are used to represent spinors, which are mathematical objects that describe the quantum mechanical spin of a particle. The spinors are obtained by acting on the gamma matrices with the spinor representation of the Lorentz group.

5. What is the physical significance of the gamma matrices?

The gamma matrices are important in physics because they allow us to describe the spin of particles and the behavior of space and time in special relativity. They are also used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles and fields.