Simple experiment to measure resistance of a semiconductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a diode as a temperature sensor by measuring its resistance with a multimeter. It is suggested to keep the diode intact and measure across it, rather than using a fragment. It is also mentioned that the diode's V-I curve is temperature dependent and that there may be leakage through moisture. Various methods of protecting the diode from moisture are suggested, such as dipping it in epoxy or using a plastic bag. Additionally, it is noted that the diode has a non-linear V-I characteristics, which should be considered when taking measurements. The concept of leakage phenomena is briefly mentioned and explained as the current going through water instead of the diode, resulting in a misleading reading on the meter
houlahound
Unlike Ohmic resistors the resistance of a semiconductor decreases with temperature...or not.

Can a fragment chipped off a diode or some random IC be used to measure this with a multi meter??

Engineering news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
Unlike Ohmic resistors the resistance of a semiconductor decreases with temperature...or not.

Can a fragment chipped off a diode or some random IC be used to measure this with a multi meter??

that would be very difficult as you would need to get both the P and N materials together
easier just to keep the diode in one piece and measure across itDave

So just get a diode connected to an ohm meter and dip it in say ice water, measure then boiling water measure??

Likes davenn and BvU
houlahound said:
So just get a diode connected to an ohm meter and dip it in say ice water, measure then boiling water measure??
Just what I was about to propose !

I'm skeptical its that easy.

I don't know if a diode has a temp coefficient per we but will the differences in ihms even be noticeable on a hobby multimeter??

houlahound said:
The diode's V-I curve is temperature dependent. So the voltage varies if you change the current and also if you change the temperature. So the best arrangement for use as a thermometer would be to, say, fix current constant and measure the changes in V with temperature.

Nevertheless, an ohm meter will show a change in its reading. Water on the device may introduce a parallel resistive path.

houlahound said:
I'm skeptical its that easy.

I don't know if a diode has a temp coefficient per we but will the differences in ihms even be noticeable on a hobby multimeter??

it is that easy, seriously! ... but don't try and measure when the diode is wet, there's going to be leakage through the moisture

Diodes are commonly used for temperature sensing on heat sinks of power amplifiers audio and RF types

Dave

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid a indirect I-V measurement and wanted to measure the resistance ifvthe "dead" material directly.

Silicon or germanium diode??

How do I measure it without getting it wet? Paint it in a sealant??

houlahound said:
How do I measure it without getting it wet? Paint it in a sealant??

you could dip it in epoxy, silicone sealer or yes, even paint ... which ever you use ... obviously, let it dry first :)Dave

Will try this when back at my man den next week and post the results.

Thanks.

Drop diode & leads into a plastic bag and just don't immerse the opening. For hot temperatures, I'd try an oven bag, it's probably a good electrical insulator. Test with meter.

houlahound said:
Will try this when back at my man den next week and post the results.
Thanks.
...and don`t forget that the diode has a non-linear V-I characteristics which means that you always have to discriminate between the STATIC (DC) and DYNAMIC (AC) resistance.

Last edited:
K, anyone want to explain what this leakage phenomena is, not something I have heard of.

houlahound said:
K, anyone want to explain what this leakage phenomena is, not something I have heard of.
Just says that some current will go through the water instead of through the diode, causing the meter to give a misleading reading.

Related to Simple experiment to measure resistance of a semiconductor

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. Examples of semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide.

2. Why is it important to measure the resistance of a semiconductor?

Measuring the resistance of a semiconductor is important because it can provide valuable information about the material's electrical properties, such as its conductivity and ability to conduct current. This information is crucial for understanding how a semiconductor can be used in electronic devices.

3. What materials are needed for a simple experiment to measure the resistance of a semiconductor?

The materials needed for this experiment include a semiconductor sample, two metal probes, a power supply, and a multimeter. The multimeter is used to measure the resistance of the semiconductor sample.

4. How do you conduct the experiment to measure the resistance of a semiconductor?

To conduct the experiment, the semiconductor sample is connected to the power supply and the two metal probes are placed on either side of the sample. The multimeter is then used to measure the resistance between the two probes. The voltage and current can also be adjusted to calculate the resistance using Ohm's Law.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in temperature, humidity, and the quality of the semiconductor sample. It is important to control these factors and ensure that the sample is clean and free from any impurities that could affect the resistance measurement.