Simple Exercise Involving the Algebra of Limits

In summary, the author is concerned about reasoning in Exercise 4.5 in W&S. The reasoning (despite its apparent plausibility) worries him because it seems to draw on a theorem concerning the algebra of limits in a mistaken way. The particular theorem concerned states that the limit of a sum of functions is the sum of the limits ... ... indeed the theorem on the algebra of limits in W&S reads as follows: BUT ... ... note that the theorem regarding the sum of limits assumes that the limit of f(x) and the limit of g(x) both exist when x \rightarrow x_0 and then states that \lim_{x \to x_0} ( f(x) + g(x) ) =
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I need some help in understanding the reasoning and analysis in the solution to Exercise 4.5 in Robert C. Wrede and Murray Spiegel's (W&S) book: "Advanced Calculus" (Schaum's Outlines Series).

Exercise 4.5 in W&S reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3918
View attachment 3919
The reasoning/analysis that bothers me is when Wrede and Spiegel (W&S) write:

" ... ... Since

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} f'(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} ( - \cos \frac{1}{x} + 2x \sin \frac{1}{x} )\)does not exist (because \(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to o} \cos \frac{1}{x}\) does not exist), ... ... "

The reasoning (despite its apparent plausibility) worries me ...

The reason this bothers me is that the above reasoning seems to draw on a theorem concerning the algebra of limits in a mistaken way. The particular theorem concerned states that the limit of a sum of functions is the sum of the limits ... ... indeed the theorem on the algebra of limits in W&S reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3920
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3921
BUT ... ... note that the theorem regarding the sum of limits assumes that the limit of \(\displaystyle f(x)\) and the limit of \(\displaystyle g(x)\) both exist when \(\displaystyle x \rightarrow x_0\) and then states that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to x_0} ( f(x) + g(x) )\)

\(\displaystyle = \lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) + \lim_{x \to x_0} g(x)\)

\(\displaystyle = A + B \)

The way W&S use this theorem in Ex 4.5 above seems to be to say that if the

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to x_0} f(x)\)

does not exist then the limit of the sum does not exist ... ... but what is the exact/rigorous justification for this? ... ... it does not seem to follow the theorem I have quoted ... ...

(Mind you, as I have indicated above, what they say sounds eminently reasonable ... intuitively speaking ... !?)One of the reasons for my caution regarding W&S's reasoning in Exercise 4.5 is that I began thinking of the known limit:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} x \sin \frac{1}{x} = 0
\)

If we took

\(\displaystyle f(x) = x\) and \(\displaystyle g(x) = \sin \frac{1}{x}\)

and then applied the same reasoning as W&S above (although now applied to the limit of a product rather than the limit of a sum) then we could, I think, argue that because

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} g(x) \)

\(\displaystyle = \lim_{x \to 0} \sin \frac{1}{x}
\)

does not exist, then neither does the limit of the product

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} f(x) g(x)\)

\(\displaystyle = \lim_{x \to 0} x \sin \frac{1}{x}
\)

But we know that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} x \sin \frac{1}{x} = 0\) !However, surely this is the same reasoning as W&S apply to Exercise 4.5? Isn't it?Can someone please clarify the above?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

If the limit $\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)$ exists, then since $\lim_{x\to 0} 2x\sin \frac{1}{x}$ exists, Rule #2 implies $\lim_{x\to 0} \cos \frac{1}{x}$ exists, a contradiction. So, through indirect reasoning, we can see why the author made that comment (note: you were trying to use direct reasoning).

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

If the limit $\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)$ exists, then since $\lim_{x\to 0} 2x\sin \frac{1}{x}$ exists, Rule #2 implies $\lim_{x\to 0} \cos \frac{1}{x}$ exists, a contradiction. So, through indirect reasoning, we can see why the author made that comment (note: you were trying to use direct reasoning).
Thanks Euge ...

Refelecting on this ... Trying to follow your post ... but having some trouble so far ...

Peter

Peter, please let me know where you're having trouble so I can assist you.

Euge said:
Peter, please let me know where you're having trouble so I can assist you.

Thanks so much for your concern, Euge ... ...

However, after more reflection, I now follow your reasoning (which was pretty plausible anyway ... )

I was initially worried that what I thought was similar reasoning in the case of

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} x \sin \frac{1}{x} = 0 \)

led to a wrong conclusion ... but I now see that this case is different ... the logic I was using was flawed and not the same as you used ... ...

Thanks again for your concern ... I really appreciate your help and support ...

Peter

Related to Simple Exercise Involving the Algebra of Limits

1. What is the purpose of simple exercises involving the algebra of limits?

The purpose of these exercises is to help students understand and practice the fundamental rules and concepts of limit algebra, which can be applied to more complex problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. How do you solve a limit algebraically?

To solve a limit algebraically, you can use various algebraic properties such as factoring, simplifying fractions, and using limit laws to manipulate the expression until you can apply the limit directly or use substitution.

3. Can you use limit algebra to evaluate limits at infinity?

Yes, limit algebra can be used to evaluate limits at infinity by manipulating the expression into a form that can directly apply a known limit or using substitution.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving limits algebraically?

One common mistake is to assume that rules such as factoring or canceling out terms can be applied to both the numerator and denominator without considering any restrictions on the variables. It's important to always check for these restrictions before applying any algebraic manipulations.

5. Is it possible to solve all limits algebraically?

No, there are some limits that cannot be solved algebraically and require other methods, such as L'Hôpital's rule or graphing, to evaluate. However, limit algebra can be a useful tool for many common and simpler limits.