Simple example of Quaternion intuition

In summary: Create a program that transforms the 3 rates to a quaternion."This is something that can be done in software (or even with a hardware controller) using a variety of programming languages."3. Turn the quaternion into a rotation matrix to animate the rotational motion of the gyro."This is where the math comes in. A rotation matrix is a mathematical object that allows for the transformation of rotational motion (in degrees, radians, or turns) from one vector to another. This can be done in software or via a hardware controller.
sh1z84
Why is it that I can't describe with words the orientation of a 3D object (i.e. I can't give a set of angles that uniquely describe it).
On the other hand, I can mimic fairly precisely it's orientation with my hand to describe it. A one dimensional object however, is easy
to describe with an angle such as a clock at +90 degrees is 12 o' clock. So, a 1-D object with a 1-D gyro attached, you can integrate
and find the relative angle easily (assuming no bias and not worrying about the need for an accelerometer). In the case of a 3-D
object you have 3 orthogonal gyros. Then what numbers do you get when you integrate those? Obviously not the 3 angles to describe that
3-D object or it would be too easy and transformations and quaternions wouldn't be needed.

The intuition of the above questions could be answered with the following posed design:

1. Hook a 3 axis gyro up to a computer.
2. Create a program that transforms the 3 rates to a quaternion.
3. Turn the quaternion into a rotation matrix to animate the rotational motion of the gyro.

What this does is mimics your rotations of the gyro by your hand and animates it on the computer screen.

In my opinion this is the simplest possible design to demonstrate the movements of an external 3D object in terms of a quaternion.

If one could realize this design in a more precise outline, I could almost completely understand the essentials of how a quaternion works.

I've searched hundreds of websites, and the math is everywhere, but the above questions and answers are not. Please fill in the example or
let me know of a source that describes this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"1. Hook a 3 axis gyro up to a computer."

Is this something one could buy at Future shop or something? It sounds neat.

It's pretty easy to interface a 3-axis gryo to a computer via RS232. That's not what I'm concerned with however.

Related to Simple example of Quaternion intuition

1. What is a Quaternion?

A Quaternion is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of complex numbers to four dimensions. It is represented as a combination of a scalar and a vector and is commonly used in 3D graphics and physics simulations.

2. How is a Quaternion different from a complex number?

A complex number has two components, a real part and an imaginary part, while a Quaternion has four components, a scalar and a vector. This allows Quaternions to represent rotations in three-dimensional space, whereas complex numbers can only represent rotations in two-dimensional space.

3. How can Quaternions be used to represent 3D rotations?

Quaternions are commonly used in computer graphics and game development to represent 3D rotations because they can avoid the problem of gimbal lock, which occurs when using Euler angles. Quaternions also have a unique property that allows them to interpolate smoothly between two rotations.

4. Can Quaternions be used in other applications besides 3D graphics?

Yes, Quaternions have many other applications besides 3D graphics. They are also used in robotics, control systems, and physics simulations to represent rotations and orientations in three-dimensional space.

5. Are Quaternions difficult to understand and use?

Quaternions can be challenging to understand for those who are not familiar with complex numbers and vector algebra. However, once the basics are understood, they can be relatively straightforward to use in applications. Many programming languages also have built-in functions and libraries for working with Quaternions.