Simple electric energy detectice device for home

In summary, Sophiecentaur says that she wants to design a simple, low cost and easy installation electric energy detective device. She says that the device could be plugged into a socket outlet to detect energy, or it could be clamped onto an incoming wire. She also says that if you have a string of samples of both current and voltage, you can find P.
L.Mohd
Hi,

I'm now in the project research to design a simple low cost and ease installation electric energy detective device.

My idea is to put the sensor (etc..) in or within distribution board.
Also the device can alarm consumer if they are using more energy.

Just want the opinion from you guys about what type of tools that I have to use to design the device if there are expert electrician out there.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be better and safer if you avoided the actual insides of your consumer unit and did not actually make an electrical contact with the house wiring. Can you think of a way that could be achieved (not wanting to spoon feed anyone).

since the device is already in the market, I had done many review about some devices such that related to energy monitoring devices.

most of the device that in the market divide into 2 group.
1- device that use wireless connection which is just put the clamp/ sensor to the incoming of the home, then it will transmit all the info to the LCD display. (costly)

2- the device that just plug into the socket outlet to detect energy(easy install but not convenient for house that have many outlet)

My idea is to make simple, low cost and ease installation device.
the reason that I want to fit into DB is because I want to detect energy use by detect energy use through MCB. so that I can know from which outlet that use more energy.

The one in my home has a clamp-on I sensor and a plug-in V sensor / display. There is a wireless link, which would not be strictly necessary if you could choose where to plug in.
Are you planning to actually build one or just do a paper design?

Thanks for your reply sophiecentaur.
I want to design it as my final year project.
could you explain how device at your home function?

Well, in the spirit of non-spoonfeeding:
1. How would you detect and measure the current flowing through a wire without 'breaking into it? (Clue, what do currents cause?)
2. How could you tell the value of Voltage on a wire (without necessarily connecting to it)? (Clue, how would you produce a scaled down version of mains volts?)
3. If you had a string of samples of both these quantities (digital might make it easier but it could be analogue) how could you find P (=IV)?

Related to Simple electric energy detectice device for home

1. What is a simple electric energy detector device for home?

A simple electric energy detector device for home is a small electronic device that is used to detect the presence and amount of electric energy being used in a household. It typically consists of a display screen, a sensor, and a power source, and can be easily installed and used by homeowners to monitor their energy usage.

2. How does a simple electric energy detector device work?

A simple electric energy detector device works by measuring the flow of electric current through a circuit. The sensor in the device detects the magnetic field created by the flow of electricity and converts it into a readable measurement displayed on the screen. This allows users to see how much energy is being used and make adjustments to reduce their consumption.

3. What are the benefits of using a simple electric energy detector device?

Using a simple electric energy detector device can help homeowners save money on their energy bills by identifying areas where they can reduce their energy usage. It can also help them track their energy usage over time and make more informed decisions about their energy consumption habits.

4. Are there different types of simple electric energy detector devices available?

Yes, there are various types of simple electric energy detector devices available on the market, ranging from basic models with a single sensor to more advanced models with multiple sensors and additional features such as data logging and real-time monitoring. It is important to choose a device that best fits your needs and budget.

5. Is it easy to install and use a simple electric energy detector device?

Yes, most simple electric energy detector devices are designed to be user-friendly and easy to install. They typically come with instructions and can be easily set up without the need for professional assistance. Once installed, the device can be used with minimal effort, making it a convenient tool for monitoring energy usage in the home.