Simple calculation of Compton scattering in string theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using similar methods in string theory as in quantum field theory to calculate scattering amplitudes. The Veneziano amplitude is mentioned as a key calculation in string theory, with T duality being an important concept. There are various methods and references for calculating amplitudes in string theory, including the use of conformal field theory.
Strum
Hallo.
So the other day I reviewed a bit of quantum field theory and went through the Compton scattering calculation. To no ones surprise it was fairly simpel if you have a nice list of identities for rewriting the base results from the Feynman diagrams. See for exaxmple section 5.3 in http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0510040v4.pdf.

Is it possible to do something similar in string theory? That is, a really simple scattering amplitude calculated in a pedestrian way such that we can all understand it?

I searched a bit the other day but only found things which was way beyond what I could figure out in a short time. I've taken 1 course in bosonic string theory years ago but do not remember really trying to calculate anything explicitly( besides some 20 dimensions, unstable vacuum and a massless spin 2 excitation).

(BTW now I picked the graduate prefix but I really hope somebody can answer such that an undergrad can understand it. )

Physics news on Phys.org
Strum said:
Hallo.
So the other day I reviewed a bit of quantum field theory and went through the Compton scattering calculation. To no ones surprise it was fairly simpel if you have a nice list of identities for rewriting the base results from the Feynman diagrams. See for exaxmple section 5.3 in http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0510040v4.pdf.

Is it possible to do something similar in string theory? That is, a really simple scattering amplitude calculated in a pedestrian way such that we can all understand it?

I searched a bit the other day but only found things which was way beyond what I could figure out in a short time. I've taken 1 course in bosonic string theory years ago but do not remember really trying to calculate anything explicitly( besides some 20 dimensions, unstable vacuum and a massless spin 2 excitation).

(BTW now I picked the graduate prefix but I really hope somebody can answer such that an undergrad can understand it. )

Scattering calculation was the very first beginning of stringtheory and can be calculated by the veneziano amplitude. We have similar calculations as in conformal field theory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneziano_amplitude

Because of the different stringtheories we have many different methods to calculate and can compare now a lot, what could be more realistic and what not.

By comparing all the different views on strings, we get more and more a hint what is more matching with the real world and what not.
Witten produced a lot of methods with others how to calculate scattering for different stringtheories.

But the veneziano amplitude is the mainframe of all calculations. The advanced and easier solution than hundreds of feynmann calculations, we are used to.

T Duality is something important in this idea too. But you should have learned in your bosonic course of string theory because it is the very beginning of string theory.

Thanks for the answer. I do remember the T duality but I can not remember actually deriving the Veneziano amplitude. I will see if I can find my old lecture notes. From your answer I gather that there exists lots of different amplitudes. Any clear reference where some examples are calculated?

Related to Simple calculation of Compton scattering in string theory

1. What is Compton scattering in string theory?

Compton scattering refers to the process in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, resulting in the electron gaining energy and the photon losing energy. In string theory, this phenomenon is described as the interaction between a closed string and a charged particle.

2. How is Compton scattering calculated in string theory?

In string theory, Compton scattering is calculated using perturbative methods. This involves breaking down the string interaction into smaller, more manageable parts and then using mathematical equations to calculate the scattering amplitudes.

3. What is the significance of Compton scattering in string theory?

Compton scattering is significant in string theory because it provides a way to test and validate the theory. By comparing the calculated scattering amplitudes with experimental results, scientists can determine the accuracy of string theory and potentially discover new insights about the fundamental nature of the universe.

4. What is the role of the string coupling constant in Compton scattering?

The string coupling constant is a fundamental parameter in string theory that determines the strength of the interaction between strings and particles. In Compton scattering, the coupling constant plays a crucial role in the calculation of scattering amplitudes and can affect the overall outcome of the process.

5. Are there any experimental observations of Compton scattering in string theory?

Currently, there are no direct experimental observations of Compton scattering in string theory. However, there have been some attempts to indirectly detect string interactions through high-energy experiments, such as at the Large Hadron Collider. Further research and advancements in technology may one day allow us to observe Compton scattering in string theory.