Simple average speed (quick glance should do the trick)

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling up a hill at 30 km/h and returning down at 66 km/h. To find the average speed for the round trip, two equations can be used: average speed = 2*speed1*speed2/(speed1+speed2) or average speed = total distance/total time. However, when using the second equation with various distances, the answer of 49.81132075 km/h was obtained, which was marked incorrect. It was later discovered that the first speed (30 km/h) was mistakenly input as 40 km/h, resulting in an incorrect calculation.
mbisCool

Homework Statement

A car travels up a hill at a constant speed of 30 km/h and returns down the hill at a constant speed of 66 km/h. Calculate the average speed for the round trip.

Homework Equations

avaerage speed= 2*speed1*speed2/(speed1+speed2)
or
average speed=total distance/total time

The Attempt at a Solution

The actual distance is arbitrary and is not given so i first used the second equation with several different distances to check work, all gave me the answer 49.81132075 km/h. The website said this answer was wrong so i tried using the method describeb in equation 1. I got the same answer as I did with the total distance/ total time. You can also work backwards to get the distance chosen at the start. Any insight as to what I am doing wrong? and why two different methods give the same answer but are both wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
mbisCool said:
avaerage speed= 2*speed1*speed2/(speed1+speed2)
or
average speed=total distance/total time
These equations look OK.

The actual distance is arbitrary and is not given so i first used the second equation with several different distances to check work, all gave me the answer 49.81132075 km/h.
But this calculation seems off. Recheck your arithmetic.

sigh I had been using 40km/h instead of 30 as the first speed the entire time :( thanks though

Related to Simple average speed (quick glance should do the trick)

What is simple average speed?

Simple average speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain distance. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

How is simple average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Simple average speed is calculated over a longer period of time and considers the total distance traveled, while instantaneous speed measures the speed at a specific moment in time.

Can simple average speed be negative?

Yes, simple average speed can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial direction. For example, if an object starts at 0 m/s and ends at -10 m/s, its average speed would be -5 m/s.

What are the units for simple average speed?

The units for simple average speed are typically distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How can simple average speed be used in real-life situations?

Simple average speed can be used to measure the average speed of a car on a road trip, the average speed of a runner in a race, or the average speed of a plane during a flight. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the average velocity of an object.