Simple atomic unit conversion check

In summary, simple atomic unit conversion check refers to the process of converting units of measurement from one system to another, such as from metric to imperial or vice versa. This involves understanding the relationships between different units and using conversion factors to accurately convert between them. It is an important skill in fields such as science, engineering, and mathematics, and can help avoid errors and inconsistencies when dealing with different unit systems.
jjr
Hi

I'm converting some numbers to atomic units, and it's important that I get it right. Would be happy if someone could reassure me.

I want to convert the units of an electric field measured in kV/cm to atomic units. Here is what I got:

[itex] \frac{kV}{cm}=\frac{10^3}{10^{-2}}\frac{J}{C\cdot m}=10^5\frac{2.29\cdot 10^{17}}{1.60\cdot10^{19}5.29\cdot10^{11}}a.u.=2.71\cdot 10^{-9}a.u.[/itex]J

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't believe that is right. I did the calculation 2 different ways, and got 1 kV/cm = 1.945⋅10-7 a.u. both ways.

1st method: dimensional analysis. I believe the atomic unit for electric field is Eh/(e⋅ao), or Hartree per fundamental charge per Bohr radius.
1 kV/cm * 1000 V/kV * 100 cm/m = 105 V/m (I agree with you up to here), = 105 eV/(e*m).
105 eV/(e*m) * 1/27.2 Eh/eV * 5.29e-11 m/ao = 1.945e-7 Eh/(e*ao)

2nd method: NIST Reference (a reliable source) says that the atomic unit of electric field is 5.1422e11 V/m.
1e5 V/m * 1/5.142e11 a.u./(V/m) = 1.945e-7 a.u.

Reference: http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?auefld

Likes jjr
Yeah, it seems you are correct. Thanks!

Related to Simple atomic unit conversion check

What is a simple atomic unit conversion check?

A simple atomic unit conversion check is a method used by scientists to convert measurements in one unit of measurement to another unit of measurement. It ensures consistency and accuracy in scientific data.

Why is a simple atomic unit conversion check important?

A simple atomic unit conversion check is important because it allows scientists to compare and analyze data from different sources using the same units. This ensures that the data is accurate and can be used to make valid conclusions.

What is the process for performing a simple atomic unit conversion check?

The process for performing a simple atomic unit conversion check involves identifying the initial unit of measurement, converting it to the desired unit using a conversion factor, and then checking the accuracy of the conversion by performing a reverse conversion.

What are some common units of measurement used in a simple atomic unit conversion check?

Common units of measurement used in a simple atomic unit conversion check include length (meters), mass (grams), volume (liters), time (seconds), and temperature (Celsius or Kelvin).

What are some tips for ensuring accuracy when performing a simple atomic unit conversion check?

To ensure accuracy when performing a simple atomic unit conversion check, it is important to use reliable conversion factors, double-check calculations, and perform a reverse conversion to confirm the accuracy of the initial conversion. It is also important to have a good understanding of the units being converted and their relationships to each other.