Simple application of nodal analysis

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding the correct value for V1 in a given equation. The expected answer is provided in a link and it is noted that the value for V1 is incorrect and should be 37.818V. After checking the equations multiple times, it is discovered that a mistake was made in copying the equation into a matrix. This mistake is easily corrected and the person expresses gratitude for the help.
PainterGuy
Hi, :smile:

Almost all the details you will find in the given link below:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1565/exampleproblemnodalysis.jpg

You will find the expected (or, target answers) in the top right corner.

As you can see my value for V1 is utterly wrong. It should have been 37.818V according to the answer given in the book. I have checked my equations several times but I found nothing wrong with them. Please help me with it. Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the two equations as follows:

1 ... 3(V1) - 2(V2) = 48
2 ... 10(V1) - 14(V2) = -80

You copied the -14 into your matrix as -4. If you put in -14 you should get the right answer.

Silly mistake and trivial to find.

Many thanks, Zryn. You are so nice. You have helped me a lot.

Cheer

Related to Simple application of nodal analysis

1. What is nodal analysis and why is it useful?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze complex electrical circuits by breaking them down into simpler nodes. It is useful because it allows scientists to easily determine the voltage and current at each node, making it easier to understand and solve complex circuits.

2. How do you perform nodal analysis?

To perform nodal analysis, you first need to label each node in the circuit. Then, write out Kirchoff's Current Law equations for each node, setting the sum of currents entering the node equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to determine the voltage and current at each node.

3. What are the limitations of nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is only applicable to linear circuits, which means that it cannot be used for circuits with elements that have non-linear relationships between voltage and current. Additionally, nodal analysis can become more complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with dependent sources. In this case, the dependent source is treated as any other element in the circuit and its value is expressed in terms of the voltage or current at a particular node.

5. Are there any other methods for analyzing circuits besides nodal analysis?

Yes, there are other methods such as mesh analysis and superposition that can also be used to analyze circuits. The choice of method depends on the complexity and type of circuit being analyzed.