Simple application of euler-lagrange equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with mass m in a downward gravitational field g, constrained to move on a frictionless parabola. The Lagrangian is derived and the Euler-Lagrange equation is used to find the force acting on the particle. The conversation concludes that the force is velocity dependent due to the constraining forces, even without the presence of the gravitational field.
snoopies622
Suppose I have a particle of mass m in a uniform, downward gravitational field g, constrained to move on a frictionless parabola

[tex]
y = x^2
[/tex]

I get

[tex]

L = KE - PE = \frac {1}{2} m (\dot x^2 + \dot y^2) - mgy = \frac {1}{2}m \dot x^2 (1+4x^2) - mgx^2

[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {\partial L}{\partial x} = (\frac {1}{2}m \dot x^2)(8x) - 2mgx [/tex]

[tex]

\frac {\partial L}{\partial \dot x} = (m \dot x)(1+4x^2)

[/tex]

From here, no matter how I go about differentiating, I get a velocity-dependent force ( [itex] m \ddot x [/itex] ), which does not seem reasonable to me.

Where exactly is my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any error so far. Why shouldn't the force be velocity dependent? You have a constraint here, and the centripetal part of the constraining forces is velocity dependent. Just write down the Euler-Lagrange equation.

PS: Of course, you can use energy conservation here, since the Lagrangian is not explicitly dependent on time, i.e.,

[tex]H=\dot{x} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}-L=E=\text{const}.[/tex]

hmmm...thinking...

Ok, I get

[tex]

m \ddot x = \frac {-2mg}{1+4x^2} - \frac {4 x \dot x ^2 m}{1+4x^2}

[/tex]

I was expecting only the first term, which is the one caused by the gravitational field, but yes, what you say makes sense to me. Thank you.

(Constraints are new to me.)

Last edited:
Yes, it makes even more sense to me now. For - if there were no gravitational field, the particle would move along the parabola at a constant speed, and [itex] \ddot x [/itex] would still be non-zero, since the path is curved.

Thanks again.

Related to Simple application of euler-lagrange equation

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used in the field of calculus of variations to determine the function that minimizes or maximizes a given integral. It is named after mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who independently developed the equation in the 18th century.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation applied?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is applied by setting up a functional, or an expression involving an unknown function, and then using the equation to find the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional. This is done by taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the unknown function and setting it equal to zero.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include finding the path of least resistance in a fluid flow, determining the shape of a soap bubble, and optimizing the flight path of a rocket.

4. Is the Euler-Lagrange equation difficult to solve?

The complexity of solving the Euler-Lagrange equation depends on the specific functional being used. In some cases, the equation can be solved analytically, while in others, numerical methods may be required. Overall, it is considered a challenging but important tool in mathematics and physics.

5. What are the limitations of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is based on the assumption that the functional being minimized or maximized is continuous and differentiable. This may not always be the case in real-world applications, and in these situations, the equation may not accurately predict the optimal solution. Additionally, the equation does not take into account any constraints or boundary conditions, which may also affect the solution.