Simple Algebra Division question

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper way to deal with multiple divisions and how to determine the compressed form of a/b/c. It is important to use parentheses to avoid ambiguity in the answer. The conversation also touches on the concept of all variables being fractions and how it affects the placement of the main division.
DeepGround
Hello,

I am not grasping how to deal with multiple divisions properly.

If I have a/1 divided by b/1 divided by c/1

How do I know if the compressed form is ac/b or a/bc?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's simple: you don't.

a/bc

What poster #2 is saying, is that (a/b)/c is not equal to a/(b/c). So talking about a/b/c, without properly using parenthesis to tell which of the two cases is meant, is simply ambiguous.

i would have chosen a/(bc) as what was meant, but i see the problem.

Is it ever possible to be working on a problem and end up with a\b\c?

a/b/c are just written-down symbols that stand for an idea on your mind; if you work on a problem and get that result, in your mind you'll know what you mean (if you're not insane). Now, other people won't understand you unless you use parenthesis, or write something more graphical like [tex]\frac {a/b}{c}[/tex] or [tex]\frac {a}{b/c}[/tex].

I think what this problem is lacking is parentheses! ( )

DeepGround said:
Hello,

I am not grasping how to deal with multiple divisions properly.

If I have a/1 divided by b/1 divided by c/1

How do I know if the compressed form is ac/b or a/bc?
Is a/1= a, b/1= b, c/1= c? If so why write it that way?

DeepGround said:
Is it ever possible to be working on a problem and end up with a\b\c?
What does "\" mean here?

HallsofIvy said:
Is a/1= a, b/1= b, c/1= c? If so why write it that way?

What does "\" mean here?

To specify that all variables are already a fraction. Some math texts show a/b/1 is a/b and a/1/b is ab/1

I meant / by "\"

a/b/1 can be interpreted as (a/b)/1= a/b or a/(b/1)= a/b so that's not a problem. a/1/b could be interpreted as (a/1)/b= a/b or a/(1/b)= ab. That's a problem.

It really doesn't matter whether a or b are "already" fractions.

DeepGround said:
To specify that all variables are already a fraction. Some math texts show a/b/1 is a/b and a/1/b is ab/1

I meant / by "\"

Oh wow, I just figured out where I went wrong, now I see how it does not matter where the main division is located because the if all denominators are 1 then it doesn't matter if you multiply the 1 by the numberator or the denominator.

I thought the general rule for an ambiguous case was to work from left to right and which would be ((a/1)/(b/1))/(c/1) = a/bc.

Related to Simple Algebra Division question

What is simple algebra division?

Simple algebra division is a mathematical concept that involves dividing one number by another to find a quotient. It is commonly represented using the symbol ÷ or by using a fraction bar.

How do I solve a simple algebra division problem?

To solve a simple algebra division problem, you first need to identify the dividend (the number being divided) and the divisor (the number doing the dividing). Then, divide the dividend by the divisor to find the quotient. For example, in the problem 12 ÷ 3, 12 is the dividend and 3 is the divisor. The quotient would be 4.

What are the rules for simple algebra division?

The main rule for simple algebra division is that you cannot divide by 0. This is because division by 0 is undefined. Additionally, when dividing two numbers with the same sign (both positive or both negative), the quotient will be positive. When dividing two numbers with different signs, the quotient will be negative.

What are some common mistakes when solving simple algebra division problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the remainder in the final answer. Another mistake is mixing up the dividend and divisor. It is important to always double check which number is being divided and which number is doing the dividing. Lastly, some people may forget to add the decimal point when dividing by a decimal number.

How can I practice and improve my skills in simple algebra division?

You can practice and improve your skills in simple algebra division by solving various problems, using online resources and worksheets, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if needed. You can also create your own division problems or try solving more complex division problems to challenge yourself.