Signs in the equation, angular acceleration

In summary, when considering the relationship between acceleration, angular acceleration, and radius, it is best to use a vector equation involving cross products and to take into account conventions such as the right-hand rule for determining the positive directions of the vectors. In cases where the radius is constant, differentiating the velocity equation can also be used to determine the correct sign of the result. Using the vector method is generally more reliable, but in situations where working with scalars is necessary, it is important to carefully reason out the correct sign.
Bauxiet

Homework Statement

Counter clockwise is positive, right is positive and up is positive.
My problem statement: When I use the formula ag = alfa*r do I have to take signs into account? Or is this formula just for the magnitude and will the signs be already taken into account in other equations? (F= m*a for example)

Ro9wFy3.png

Homework Equations

Ag = alfa*r (gravity point acceleration)
F = m*a
M = I*alfa

alfa = angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little bit confused. In the excercise underneath I did not and I became the right solution. I think this formula gives the magnitude, the signs are already taken in account in other equations where you fill in the ag = alfa*r. Is this right?

The underneath picture is as an example. Look at the highlight. My alfa is negative (angular acceleration) and my ag (aA in this case) is positive. Ag is the acceleration of the disk. IF I had taken the negative sign of the alfa into account, that would mean that my Ag would be negative, which is not the case!
Is this right? Correct me if I am wrong, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between acceleration, angular acceleration and radius is best considered as a vector equation, and in that view it involves cross products. There are various conventions, such as the right-hand rule, regarding the order of arguments to the cross products and the positive directions for the vectors. When all the conventions are used consistently, the correct sign comes out.
Similarly for velocities.
However, it is not a simple conversion of Acceleration = angular accleration x radius to vector form, like maybe: ##\vec a=\vec \alpha \times\vec r##. (Clearly, because that would not register any acceleration for a purely radial acceleration.)
E.g. for velocity the equation is ##(\vec r.\vec r)\vec \omega=\vec r \times \vec v##.

If working with scalars, I do not know a better way than simply reasoning out the sign of the result.

Edit: Or maybe...
In the special case where the radius is constant, we can differentiate the velocity equation to get
##(\vec r.\vec r)\vec \alpha=\dot{\vec r} \times \vec v+\vec r \times \dot{\vec v} = \vec v\times \vec v+\vec r\times\vec a= \vec r\times\vec a##.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
The relationship between acceleration, angular acceleration and radius is best considered as a vector equation, and in that view it involves cross products. There are various conventions, such as the right-hand rule, regarding the order of arguments to the cross products and the positive directions for the vectors. When all the conventions are used consistently, the correct sign comes out.
Similarly for velocities.
However, it is not a simple conversion of Acceleration = angular accleration x radius to vector form, like maybe: ##\vec a=\vec \alpha \times\vec r##. (Clearly, because that would not register any acceleration for a purely radial acceleration.)
E.g. for velocity the equation is ##(\vec r.\vec r)\vec \omega=\vec r \times \vec v##.

If working with scalars, I do not know a better way than simply reasoning out the sign of the result.

Edit: Or maybe...
In the special case where the radius is constant, we can differentiate the velocity equation to get
##(\vec r.\vec r)\vec \alpha=\dot{\vec r} \times \vec v+\vec r \times \dot{\vec v} = \vec v\times \vec v+\vec r\times\vec a= \vec r\times\vec a##.

Thank you! If I use the vector method I become indeed a positive number. This method can always be used? Also If I am working not with vectors as in my picture above?

And if I work with scalars, your method is just to remove the sign? Or maybe if ag is pointing to the positive direction and the result of alfa*r is negative, just to remove the negative sign because ag is positive?

I think the vector method is in this case much more safe and if it is allowed to use in any situation I think it is better to use the vector method.

Related to Signs in the equation, angular acceleration

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. In other words, it measures how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and has units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

3. What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²). This unit is equivalent to the unit of acceleration in linear motion, meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. How does angular acceleration affect an object's motion?

Angular acceleration can cause an object to change its direction or speed of rotation. A positive angular acceleration causes an increase in rotation, while a negative angular acceleration causes a decrease in rotation. If the angular acceleration is zero, the object will maintain a constant speed and direction of rotation.

5. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The main factors that affect angular acceleration are the magnitude of the applied torque and the moment of inertia of the object. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, similar to mass in linear motion. Other factors that can affect angular acceleration include friction, air resistance, and external forces.