Nano technolgy now i know the basics

In summary: They could be extremely small and difficult to detect.In summary, the main concerns about nanotechnology are the potential risks and the lack of funding. The technology is still developing, but it is slowly gaining more acceptance.
The Grimmus
ok in my freshmen enlgish class (this dose have soemthign to do with nano technology just wait) we have to come up with some topics becuase we are adventually doing persawseve essays/speechs ok so why not do soemtghing that no one in the class has any concept of...nano technolgy now i know the basics and will do more reasearch but I haven't relaly found a problem with it I know people have protested it's reasearch but what's he problem money?

THank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the general half-baked fear of nanotechnology is that it will self-replicate and soon take over the world in a bad Star Trek episode scenario. These concerns haven't really had any impact on research. The main thing slowing it down is the lack of money, and that it's just plain hard. There's more and more money going into it recently from computer companies, but like Feynman said, "there's plenty of room at the bottom." To complicate things further, there was recently a major scandal involving a high profile nanoelectronics scientist who faked his results.

ok good, I also just read people are afirand of its uses in a military type group. Like a mini assasination device or biological warfair.

Originally posted by The Grimmus
ok good, I also just read people are afraid of its uses in a military type group. Like a mini assasination device or biological warfair.

Or tracking devices small enough to be injected by needle under the skin. This is possible with nanotechnology, correct?

whoa i dident even think of that...wow nanotechnology is one of the only things I have ever known about that could actualy be used for complete good and complete bad

1. The only problems with nanotechnology are the people stoping it from being used.

2. Uhm, no offense but, be sure to have someone spell check your paper bud:

persawseve = persuasive
adventually = eventually

Originally posted by The Grimmus
ok in my freshmen enlgish class (this dose have soemthign to do with nano technology just wait) we have to come up with some topics becuase we are adventually doing persawseve essays/speechs ok so why not do soemtghing that no one in the class has any concept of...nano technolgy now i know the basics and will do more reasearch but I haven't relaly found a problem with it I know people have protested it's reasearch but what's he problem money?

THank you in advance.

1. And the huge potential risk factors of such systems let loose, and hence the neccessity for a lot of caution, and careful control at all stages.

2. stoping = stopping :wink:

I don't buy the tracking device thing though. It doesn't seem to matter whether the tracker is a nanobot, or an radioisotope which is already being used.

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an extremely small scale, typically at the level of atoms and molecules. It involves the development and use of materials and devices at the nanoscale, which is approximately 1 to 100 nanometers in size.

2. How is nanotechnology used in real-world applications?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of applications, including in medicine, electronics, energy production, and environmental remediation. Some examples include targeted drug delivery systems, more efficient solar panels, and water filtration systems.

3. What are the potential risks of nanotechnology?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks associated with the use of nanotechnology. These include environmental impacts, potential health risks, and ethical concerns. However, extensive research and regulations are in place to mitigate these risks.

4. How does nanotechnology contribute to scientific advancements?

Nanotechnology has the potential to revolutionize many fields of science and technology. It allows for the manipulation of materials at the atomic level, leading to new and improved products and processes. This can lead to advancements in fields such as medicine, electronics, and materials science.

5. How can I learn more about nanotechnology?

There are many resources available for learning more about nanotechnology. Some suggestions include reading books and articles on the subject, attending conferences and workshops, and taking courses or pursuing a degree in a related field. Additionally, keeping up with current research and developments in the field can also provide valuable insights.