Significance of the Saturation Photon-flux Density

I / ε - g1 (N / (g1 + g2))) σ / (1 + I / Isat)= 2(σ I / ε - (g1 N / (g1 + g2)) σ) / (1 + I / Isat)= 2(σ I / ε) / (1 + I / Isat) - 2((g1 N / (g1 + g2)) σ) / (1 + I / Isat)= 2(σ I / ε) / (1 + I / Isat) - 2((σ I / ε) / (1 + I / Isat
tuanle007

Homework Statement

In the general two-level atomic system of Fig. 14.2-3, τ2
Significance of the Saturation Photon-flux Density.
In the general two-level atomic system of Fig. 14.2-3, τ2 represents the lifetime of level 2 in the absence of stimulated emission. In the presence of stimulated emission, the rate of decay from level 2 increases and the effective lifetime decreases. Find the photon-flux density Φ at which the lifetime decreases to half its value. How is that photon-flux density related to the saturation photon-flux density Φs?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A simple rate equation for the upper level population N2 is

dN2/dt = -(N2-N2(T))/τ + (σ I/ε) / (g1N1-g2 N2),

where N1=lower level population N2(T) =thermal equilibrium population when light intensity I=0, ε=photon energy,σ=transition cross section, g1,2 =degeneracy factors. τ =level lifetime. Neglect N2(T). The answer to the first question is obtained by solving

1/τ = (σ I /ε) g2 for I. Thus I= ε/(τ σ g2) Call this I'.

To find Isat , let dN2/dt=0 N1=N-N2. Solve for N2, and write the denominator of the resulting expression in the form
1+I/Isat. Then Isat is found as

Isat= ε/[τ σ (g1+g2)] = g2 I' /(g1+g2)]

(For nondegenerate levels g1=g2=1)

If pumping is present, as for an amplifying medium, add a constant term R to the right hand side of the above rate equation.

Other questions, involving gain, can be solved using the following expression for the gain per unit length:

g = 2(g2 N2 -g1N1)σ

In steady state, dN2/dt=0, solve the rate equation for N2 and N1=N-N2, where N is the total concentration of active atoms, and substitute in the expression for g.

can someone help me with finding N2 and g?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure, I'd be happy to help with finding N2 and g. First, let's start with the expression for N2 in steady state:

N2 = (σ I / ε g2) / (1 + I / Isat)

Where I is the light intensity and Isat is the saturation photon-flux density. Now, let's substitute this into the expression for g:

g = 2(g2 N2 - g1 N1) σ

= 2(g2 (σ I / ε g2) / (1 + I / Isat) - g1 (N - (σ I / ε g2) / (1 + I / Isat))) σ

= 2(σ I / ε - g1 N) σ / (1 + I / Isat)

Now, let's solve for N by setting dN2/dt = 0:

dN2/dt = 0 = -(N2 - N2(T)) / τ + (σ I / ε) / (g1 N1 - g2 N2)

= -(N2 - N2(T)) / τ + (σ I / ε) / (g1 (N - N2) - g2 N2)

= -(N2 - N2(T)) / τ + (σ I / ε) / (g1 N - g1 N2 - g2 N2)

= -(N2 - N2(T)) / τ + (σ I / ε) / (g1 N - (g1 + g2) N2)

= (N2(T) / τ) - (σ I / ε) / (g1 N - (g1 + g2) N2)

= (N2(T) / τ) - (σ I / ε) / ((g1 + g2) (N / (g1 + g2)) - (g1 + g2) (N2 / (g1 + g2)))

= (N2(T) / τ) - (σ I / ε) / (N - (g1 + g2) (N2 / (g1 + g2)))

= (N2(T) / τ) - (σ I / ε) / (N - N2)

= 0

Therefore, N2 = N2(T) = N / (g1 + g2).

Now, substituting this into the

Related to Significance of the Saturation Photon-flux Density

1. What is saturation photon-flux density?

Saturation photon-flux density (SPFD) is a measure of the maximum amount of light energy that a material can absorb before reaching its limit. It is typically expressed in units of photons per square meter per second.

2. Why is the saturation photon-flux density significant?

The saturation photon-flux density is significant because it helps scientists understand the behavior of materials when exposed to high levels of light. It can also provide important information about the efficiency and limitations of certain materials in devices such as solar cells.

3. How is saturation photon-flux density measured?

The saturation photon-flux density is typically measured using specialized equipment such as a spectrophotometer or a photodiode. These instruments can accurately measure the intensity of light and convert it into units of photons per square meter per second.

4. What factors can affect the saturation photon-flux density?

Several factors can affect the saturation photon-flux density, including the material's absorption coefficient, the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, and the temperature of the material.

5. How can the saturation photon-flux density be used in research?

The saturation photon-flux density is an important parameter in various fields of research, such as photovoltaics, photochemistry, and optics. It can be used to study the properties of materials, optimize device performance, and develop new technologies that harness light energy.