Significance of Mathematical Result

In summary, this inequality is a result of the dot product between two vectors being always less than or equal to the product of their lengths.
maverick280857
Hi...I've been scratching my head for this one:

If f(x) and g(x) are realvalued functions integrable over an interval (a,b) then prove that

[tex]|\int_{a}^{b} f(x)g(x)dx| \leq \sqrt{\int_{a}^{b}(f(x))^2dx \int_{a}^{b}(g(x))^2dx}[/tex]

I actually don't want the proof of this inequality...I already have it (take F(x) as (f(x)- lambda g(x))^2=>integral of F(x) over (a,b) is positive as is the integrand. Then, we use properties of the quadratic function and get the desired inequality using the fact that the discriminant of the resulting quadratic must not exceed 0). However, an alternative proof would be appreciated.

But what I really want is the physical interpretation of this inequality because that is hard to come up with. The inequality reminds me of the Cauchy Schwarz Inequality and incidentally, its proof is quite similar to Cauchy Schwarz.

I would be very grateful if you could offer an explanation.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
But what I really want is the physical interpretation of this inequality because that is hard to come up with. The inequality reminds me of the Cauchy Schwarz Inequality and incidentally, its proof is quite similar to Cauchy Schwarz.
I would be very grateful if you could offer an explanation.

It really doesn't have a physical interpretatation.It's a math result.It doesn't even make sense the interpret it in terms of areas.Because u have in the LHS the area of a function and in the RHS the area of other functions.Physics works with far more complicated integrals and is not always interested in mathematical subtleties and real valued functions.I should say we use complex functions far more than real ones.In Quantum Physics.

The CBS inequality is wery powerful and is used by physics,especially QM.But this mathematical formula,i haven't used it,i haven't seen it in a physics book...

Daniel.

Actually, it is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, for the inner product:

[tex]
f \cdot g := \int_a^b f(x) g(x) \, dx
[/tex]

It doesn't really have a physical meaning unless you have ascribed physical meanings to these integrals, or to this inner product.

Thanks for your help.

well of course like the usual cauchy schwartz inequality, it seems to express the fact that the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their lengths.

this is used to define the angle between two vectors in an inner product space, as arccos(f.g/|f||g|). so the meaning of this inequality should be that you can define the angle between two functions that satisfy these convergence restrictions.

so it really does seem to have a very clear geometric interpretation.

Related to Significance of Mathematical Result

What is the significance of a mathematical result?

A mathematical result is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of a particular concept or phenomenon. It can also have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.

How do mathematical results contribute to scientific research?

Mathematical results play a crucial role in scientific research as they provide a quantitative basis for theories and hypotheses. They also help to validate or refute experimental findings and can lead to the development of new theories or models.

What makes a mathematical result reliable?

A reliable mathematical result is one that has been rigorously tested and proven to be true using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques. It should also be replicable and have practical applications in the real world.

What are some common challenges in obtaining significant mathematical results?

One common challenge in obtaining significant mathematical results is the complexity of the problem being studied. It may require advanced mathematical techniques and a deep understanding of the underlying concepts. Another challenge is the availability of accurate and reliable data to support the result.

How can mathematical results impact society?

Mathematical results can have a significant impact on society as they can be applied to various fields such as technology, finance, and healthcare. They can also lead to the development of new inventions and solutions to real-world problems, ultimately improving the quality of life for individuals and society as a whole.