Significance of gauge transformation any experts?

In summary, gauge transformations have no physical significance and instead tell us what is not physically significant. The electromagnetic tensor must be gauge invariant because the gauge transformation is related to the hidden degrees of freedom present at each point in spacetime. Gauge theory is needed to describe interactions of matter with fundamental forces, as it promotes a global symmetry of a theory to be local. This allows us to describe the coupling of matter to these fields.
ZealScience
Though I've learned gauge transformation for a while, I can't figure out why it is significance in describing fields? For example, why electromagnetic tensor has to be gauge invariant? What does it physically mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking a trick question -- a gauge transformation has no physical significance!

Instead, a gauge transformation tells us what that is not physically significant. If two configurations are related by a gauge transformation, then they describe exactly the same physical state of affairs.

On the hypothesis that every component of the electromagnetic tensor has physical significance, can you now explain why the tensor should be gauge invariant?

Hurkyl said:
You're asking a trick question -- a gauge transformation has no physical significance!

Instead, a gauge transformation tells us what that is not physically significant. If two configurations are related by a gauge transformation, then they describe exactly the same physical state of affairs.

On the hypothesis that every component of the electromagnetic tensor has physical significance, can you now explain why the tensor should be gauge invariant?

Thank you for replying, I am confused with some concepts. In what I have learnt, EM tensor is a curl of a vector potential which is gauge invariant, so I mean EM tensor is related to gauge invariance to some extent.

Can you specify on gauge transformation? Why do we need gauge theory, and when?

Think of it this way. At each point in spacetime, there are additional, hidden degrees of freedom. Whether these degrees of freedom are hidden dimensions that are 'curled up' to very small dimensions or whether they are some other degree of freedom is currently a matter of debate, but the degrees of freedom are there. In EM, the degree of freedom is a single complex phase, corresponding to what is called the U(1) group. So you can think of a small circle sitting at each point. Since things are completely symmetric around the circle, it doesn't matter where around the circle you call the zero point. So at each point, you can add an arbitrary phase (i.e. a number between zero and 2*pi), without changing any of the physics. This is basically re-setting the zero point around the circle at each point to a new value. This is completely analogous to doing a mechanics problem and changing x to x+K. It doesn't matter where I call my zero when I'm measuring distances - changing the zero point will not change the physics. Since none of the physics can change, everything needs to be invariant to this change of phase. So in any problem, if we change the QM wave function by adding a phase phi (which multiplies the wave function by e^(i*phi) ), and change the EM potential everywhere by grad(phi), everything comes out the same. The other forces (gravity, weak and strong interaction) have similar gauge invariances, but they are more complicated that EM.

ZealScience said:
Thank you for replying, I am confused with some concepts. In what I have learnt, EM tensor is a curl of a vector potential which is gauge invariant, so I mean EM tensor is related to gauge invariance to some extent.

Can you specify on gauge transformation? Why do we need gauge theory, and when?

I think this is a very good question I can't answer. If you'll allow me to rephrase, and correct me if I have it wrong, "When has the gauge invariance of one discriptive equation of physical law lead to another?

ZealScience said:
Though I've learned gauge transformation for a while, I can't figure out why it is significance in describing fields? For example, why electromagnetic tensor has to be gauge invariant? What does it physically mean?

My 2 cents:

Think about a photon. You want to describe it with something which is Lorentz invariant, right? A scalar won't do. The next simplest possibility is a vector.

But a vector in 4 dimensions contains 4 degrees of freedom (DOF's). But we measure that light has only 2 polarization directions. One DOF can be eliminated by imposing equations of motion (EOM). So we have one extra DOF left, which we don't measure. It is "eliminated" by stating that the vector has a redundant DOF which is not physical.

These redundant DOF's mean there should be something like an extra "symmetry". Between quotes, because we introduced it basically by hand by demanding that the photon is described by a Lorentz vector. This "symmetry" we call a gauge symmetry. For the photon this redundant DOF can be described by a phase, or the group called U(1).

This idea seems to be (why? we don't know!) a very fruitfull way to describe other fundamental interactions, like the weak and strong interactions, and in some degree gravity. This involves other groups like SU(N).

The idea, inspired by the electromagnetic case, is to observe that a free theory of matter has a global symmetry (at every event the same). Promoting this global symmetry to be local (changing from event to event) demands that you introduce fields to correct for the extra terms. These fields are interpreted as the fields propagating the fundamental forces, and describe the coupling of matter to these fields.

So: promoting a global symmetry of your theory enables you to describe the interaction (which depends on the symmetry!) of matter.

Apparently Nature likes symmetries, and thus gauge theories. But again, we don't know why :)

Related to Significance of gauge transformation any experts?

1. What is the significance of gauge transformation in physics?

The gauge transformation is a fundamental concept in modern physics that refers to the freedom to choose different mathematical descriptions of a physical system without changing its physical properties. It plays a crucial role in theories such as electromagnetism, quantum field theory, and general relativity.

2. How does gauge transformation affect the behavior of physical systems?

Gauge transformations do not affect the observable properties or behavior of physical systems. They only change the mathematical description of the system. This means that any physical predictions or measurements remain the same regardless of the chosen gauge transformation.

3. What are some examples of gauge transformations in physics?

One of the most well-known examples of gauge transformation is in electromagnetism, where the choice of gauge can change the form of Maxwell's equations. Another example is in quantum field theory, where gauge transformations are used to describe particles with different spin states.

4. What is the role of gauge transformations in symmetry principles?

Gauge transformations are closely related to symmetry principles in physics. In fact, many physical theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, are built on the foundation of local gauge symmetry. This allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

5. How do gauge transformations relate to the concept of gauge invariance?

Gauge invariance refers to the property of a physical theory or equation remaining unchanged under a gauge transformation. In other words, the theory or equation is invariant, or independent, of the chosen gauge. Gauge transformations play a crucial role in maintaining gauge invariance in physical theories.