Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Signature limitation improvement

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
I wanted to add a link (to a tutorial on MMF related to quintics) in my .sig on a newline but while submitting, it says an error occurred because of 10 lines limitation exceeded.

Is it possible to increase the limitation to, say, 15?

Thank you for your considerations in this matter.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi mathbalarka,

My apologies for not responding sooner. Normally I try to get back to feedback posts the same day so this really isn't our usual standard. :)

I will discuss it with the staff to get everyone's input but my opinion right now is that 10 lines is long enough and I would not vote to extend it to 15. Looking at your post in this thread I see that the text below your post is more substantial than your actual post. This is not something I like to see as it almost eclipses the content of the post. That's just my opinion though so we'll see what the team says.

Also, please be advised that links in signatures are not automatically allowed - they must be approved by the staff. That said, I'm sure a link to your tutorial on quintics is fine. ;)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I also meant to respond sooner with my thoughts on this. I should know by now that if I put something off, chances are it will get lost in the shuffle. :D

Personally, I think 10 lines is easily large enough for a signature. I could be wrong, but I also suspect that if the signature space is increase substantially, it could require additional spacing to be added to the bottom of all posts, so that when thanks are added the signatures are not potentially forced to overlap with the body of the text.

When thanks are added to a post, the signature is pushed up, rather than space being added at the bottom of the post to accommodate this new line. This is intrinsic to vBulletin, and as such is not something our administrators can alter (at least not without some intensive coding).

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
When thanks are added to a post, the signature is pushed up, rather than space being added at the bottom of the post to accommodate this new line. This is intrinsic to vBulletin, and as such is not something our administrators can alter (at least not without some intensive coding).
Actually this is something I hired a coder a while ago to change. By default vBSEO will add a good chunk of extra space to the bottom of the box (essentially pushing it down) and most of the time it looks pretty bad. You end up with a lot of unneeded space that appears awkward. For someone with no avatar it would turn the vertical size of their post to the same as yours (MarkFL's), which means 3/4 or more of the vertical span is empty space.

So while the new method isn't perfect, it is much better than the default in my opinion. It works through a good amount of CSS conditionals which could use some adjusting but overall are good I think.

You are right though that adding longer signatures would push them up too far into the actual post and cause overlap problems. Didn't think of that before. :)