Signal Propagation: How Does It Effect & What Are Characteristics?

In summary, the capability of electromagnetic signal propagation depends on the material or conductor it passes through, and the characteristics of the conductor can result in attenuation for certain frequencies. Waveguides act as high pass filters, only allowing propagation if the signal frequency exceeds a cutoff frequency determined by the guiding structure. Copper, however, is not suitable for passing THz signals due to eddy currents and the skin effect, causing losses and attenuation. Referencing books such as "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" by David Cheng or "Engineering Electromagnetics" by Nathan Ida can provide quantitative explanations for this limitation.
priyadarshan
I read that capability of electromagnetic signal propagation depends on material or conductor from which it is passed... I want to know How does it effect?... What are characteristics of conductors that result in attenuation for certain frequencies?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats a very general question. Are you referring to waveguides? If yes, they act as high pass filters: propagation can take place only if the signal frequency exceeds a cutoff frequency decided by the geometry of and dielectric medium inside the guiding structure. As for conductors, they have finite conductivity, so there are losses associated with current flow.

[EDIT: I am not v. sure if this is the right place to continue this discussion (vs the Electrical Engineering Forum).]

Sir I have read that each medium has its bandwidth limitations not regarding heat loss... so I was asking in such way that Can copper pass THz signals?...If no than why?

priyadarshan said:
Sir I have read that each medium has its bandwidth limitations not regarding heat loss... so I was asking in such way that Can copper pass THz signals?...If no than why?
Because of eddy currents in copper that produce losses and attenuation, ac currents in the copper are forced to the outer surface (see skin effect in reference books). This begins to happen below 1 MHz. By 1 THz the skin depth is very thin.

Last edited:
priyadarshan said:

You could refer to "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" by David Cheng or Engineering Electromagnetics by Nathan Ida, for quantitative explanations.

Related to Signal Propagation: How Does It Effect & What Are Characteristics?

1. What is signal propagation and why is it important?

Signal propagation refers to the transmission of a signal through a medium. It is important because it allows information to be communicated from one point to another, enabling technologies such as wireless communication and the internet.

2. How does signal propagation affect communication?

Signal propagation can affect communication in various ways. Factors such as distance, obstacles, and interference can cause signal degradation, resulting in poor signal quality or loss of signal. This can lead to errors in communication or complete failure of transmission.

3. What are the characteristics of signal propagation?

The characteristics of signal propagation include amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and propagation speed. Amplitude refers to the strength or power of the signal, frequency is the number of cycles per second, wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks, and propagation speed is the speed at which the signal travels through the medium.

4. How does the medium affect signal propagation?

The medium through which the signal travels can greatly affect signal propagation. Different mediums, such as air, water, or fiber optic cables, have varying properties that can impact the speed, strength, and quality of the signal. For example, signals can travel faster and with less interference through fiber optic cables compared to wireless transmission through air.

5. What are some techniques used to improve signal propagation?

Some techniques used to improve signal propagation include using repeaters or amplifiers to boost the signal, using directional antennas to focus the signal in a specific direction, and using coding and modulation techniques to reduce errors and interference. Additionally, using a medium with lower attenuation, such as fiber optic cables, can also improve signal propagation.