Signal from dipole detcted at loop in free space

In summary, the Hertzian dipole at origin generates a signal in empty space which is detected at a wire loop with position vector r=(50m)ez. The signal is detected by a changing magnetic field, B(t)=B0 sin(2∏ft)ex, which is consistent with the Maxwell's solution to a plane wave, B=iB0 exp(i(kz-wt))ex. However, the "i" in front of Bo is needed because an electric wave cannot be imaginary.
Roodles01

Homework Statement

A Hertzian dipole at origin generates a signal in empty space which is detected at a wire loop with position vector;
r=(50m)ez

Homework Equations

Signal is detected by changing magnetic field;
B(t)=B0 sin(2∏ft)ex
Show it is consistent with the Maxwell's solution to a plane wave
B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm! I'm not getting far enough manipulating Maxwell's equations to provide an answer. Could someone give a little help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Roodles01 said:

Homework Statement

A Hertzian dipole at origin generates a signal in empty space which is detected at a wire loop with position vector;
r=(50m)ez

Homework Equations

Signal is detected by changing magnetic field;
B(t)=B0 sin(2∏ft)ex
Show it is consistent with the Maxwell's solution to a plane wave
B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm! I'm not getting far enough manipulating Maxwell's equations to provide an answer. Could someone give a little help, please?

A few hints only; you need to grab the bull by the horns yourself:

1. what is really meant by B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex?

2. know the complex Euler relation betw. exponent and sine/cos?

3. Keep in mind that, at the receiving antenna, time is defined as t = 0, which is delayed from that of the transmitting antenna, so there will be a phase lag between transmitter and receiver.

This is mostly math.

Thank you.
1. I think that B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex is the propogation of the signal/wave in the x direction

2. Euler relation betw. exponent and sine/cos
e^ix = cos x + i sin x (circular wave [e^ix] split into 2 planes . . . . . .

3. I realize I may be doing things the wrong way, but doing things by yourself when you have no time & tired is sooo hard to follow the right path . . . .
I'm trying.

Roodles01 said:
Thank you.
1. I think that B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex is the propogation of the signal/wave in the x direction
How can a signal be imaginary?
2. Euler relation betw. exponent and sine/cos
e^ix = cos x + i sin x (circular wave [e^ix] split into 2 planes . . . . . .
No circulraly polarized wave here. This hint means little until you figure out hint #1.

3. I realize I may be doing things the wrong way, but doing things by yourself when you have no time & tired is sooo hard to follow the right path . . . .
I'm trying.

I understand, but we are strictly prohibited from doing more than giving you hints and telling you if your approach is correct or not.

. . . . . "what is really meant by B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex?"

This is a solution to the wave equation - a combination of sin(kz-wt) & cos(kz-wt).

"The electric field of a sinusoidal plane wave that travels in the direction of the
propagation vector k and is polarized transverse to that direction" . . . . is represented by this equation.

However, for this I have the general solution
E(r; t) = E0 sin (k.r - wt).
This is similar to the equation I have stated at the beginning, however I'm not sure where the "i" in front of Bo comes from.

I really do appreciate the hints. I'm not moaning, honest!

Last edited:
Roodles01 said:
. . . . . "what is really meant by B=iB0 exp[i(kz-wt)]ex?"

This is a solution to the wave equation - a combination of sin(kz-wt) & cos(kz-wt).

"The electric field of a sinusoidal plane wave that travels in the direction of the
propagation vector k and is polarized transverse to that direction" . . . . is represented by this equation.

However, for this I have the general solution
E(r; t) = E0 sin (k.r - wt).
This is similar to the equation I have stated at the beginning, however I'm not sure where the "i" in front of Bo comes from.

I really do appreciate the hints. I'm not moaning, honest!

No offense taken, mate! :-)

But you didn't answer my question: how can an electric wave be imaginary? If you answer that question correctly you will see why the "i" is needed ahead of the expression for the transmitted wave.

Related to Signal from dipole detcted at loop in free space

What is a dipole?

A dipole is a type of antenna that consists of two conductive elements, typically wires, that are separated by a small distance. It is commonly used in radio and telecommunications systems.

What is a loop antenna?

A loop antenna is a type of antenna that consists of a single loop of conductive material, typically wire, that is used to transmit or receive electromagnetic waves. It is often used for receiving radio signals.

How does the signal from a dipole detected at a loop in free space?

The signal from a dipole detected at a loop in free space is a result of the interaction between the electromagnetic fields produced by the dipole and the loop. As the dipole radiates its electromagnetic fields, the loop antenna picks up these fields and converts them into an electrical signal.

What factors affect the strength of the signal detected at the loop?

The strength of the signal detected at the loop depends on several factors, including the distance between the dipole and the loop, the orientation of the dipole in relation to the loop, and the frequency of the electromagnetic waves being transmitted by the dipole.

What are the applications of using a loop antenna to detect signals from a dipole?

Loop antennas are commonly used for receiving radio signals in various applications, such as radio broadcasting, wireless communication systems, and radar systems. They are also used for scientific research, such as studying the Earth's magnetic field and detecting signals from outer space.