Sign of Lambda cosmology homework

In summary, we are trying to find the sign of \Lambda in question 4 and we can determine that it will have the same sign as R. To obtain the scale factor, we can use the Friedmann equation and solve for a by using the time symmetry and rescaling of the scale factor. This leads us to the conclusion that the universe is expanding exponentially, making it a de Sitter spacetime.
latentcorpse
In question 4 of this paper, I am trying to find the sign of [itex]\Lambda[/itex]

Since we have the vacuum einstein eqns [itex]G_{\mu \nu}=-\Lambda g_{\mu \nu}[/itex]

we can just contract to get [itex]R-\frac{4}{2} R=-4\Lambda \Rightarrow \Lambda=\frac{R}{4}[/itex]

So [itex]\Lambda[/itex] will have the same sign as [itex]R[/itex]

Now given the components of [itex]R[/itex] in the question, we compute [itex]R=3 \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} + ( a \ddot{a} + 2 \dot{a}^2 +2 ) ( 1 + \sin^2{\chi} + \sin^2{\chi} \sin^2{\theta})[/itex]

Now the second bracket is clearly positive.

I'm not sure about the rest of the expression though because, how do we know the signs of [itex]a , \dot{a} , \ddot{a}[/itex]? We aren't told whether the universe is accelerating or not?

Secondly, in the next bit of the question, we have to obtain the scale factor.

I have solved the continuity equation [itex]\dot{\rho} + 3\gamma \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \rho=0[/itex]
However, [itex]\gamma=0[/itex] when we have a cosmological constant fluid.
This means [itex]\dot{\rho}=0 \Rightarrow \rho = k[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is constant.

This would meant that the Friedmann equation will read [itex]\left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{8 \pi G k}{3} + \frac{\Lambda}{3}[/itex]

But then I don't see how to solve for [itex]a[/itex]? Also I think I may have made a mistake or missed something as I don't see how that time symmetry and rescaling stuff is going to help.

I think we are trying to get to a de Sitter spacetime ultimately!

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Friedmann equation can be rewritten to solve for the scale factor a: \frac{\dot{a}^2}{a^2} = \frac{8 \pi G k}{3} + \frac{\Lambda}{3} \Rightarrow \dot{a}^2 = a^2 \left( \frac{8 \pi G k}{3} + \frac{\Lambda}{3} \right)From the expression for \Lambda, we can see that \Lambda will be positive. Therefore, the right hand side of this equation is always positive. This means that \dot{a}^2 is also always positive, so \dot{a} must be positive. Now, in order to solve for a, we need to use an integrating factor. We can use the time symmetry of the universe and the rescaling of the scale factor to arrive at the relation a(t)=a_0 e^{\lambda t} where \lambda is a constant. By substituting this into the Friedmann equation, we get \lambda^2=\frac{8 \pi G k}{3} + \frac{\Lambda}{3} \Rightarrow \lambda = \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G k}{3} + \frac{\Lambda}{3}}Therefore, the scale factor of the universe is a(t)=a_0 e^{\sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G k}{3} + \frac{\Lambda}{3}} t} This implies that the universe is expanding exponentially, thus it is a de Sitter spacetime.

Related to Sign of Lambda cosmology homework

1. What is the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory?

The Sign of Lambda cosmology theory is a cosmological model that proposes the existence of a "cosmological constant" or energy density in the universe, represented by the symbol lambda. This theory suggests that the expansion of the universe is accelerating due to this constant energy, in contrast to other theories that suggest the expansion is slowing down.

2. How does the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory differ from other cosmological models?

The Sign of Lambda cosmology theory differs from other models, such as the Big Bang theory, in that it proposes a constant energy density in the universe rather than an initial explosion and subsequent expansion. It also suggests that the expansion of the universe is accelerating rather than slowing down.

3. What evidence supports the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory?

One key piece of evidence for the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory is the observation of Type Ia supernovae, which are exploding stars that can be used to measure the expansion rate of the universe. These observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, providing support for the theory's predictions.

4. What are the potential implications of the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory?

If the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory is proven to be accurate, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help explain the mysteries of dark energy and dark matter, and potentially lead to a better understanding of the ultimate fate of the universe.

5. What ongoing research is being conducted on the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory?

Scientists are continuously conducting research and experiments to further test and refine the Sign of Lambda cosmology theory. This includes studying the expansion rate of the universe, mapping the distribution of matter in the universe, and investigating the nature of dark energy. Ongoing research is also exploring potential modifications or alternatives to the theory.