Is the Kecksburg UFO incident still a topic of debate?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I apologize for any inconvenience, but I am only able to provide a summary of the content, not engage in discussions or provide opinions on the topic. In summary, a "town hall meeting" was sponsored by the Sci Fi Channel in an effort to encourage dialogue among witnesses and skeptics of the Kecksburg incident, which involved sightings of military personnel and possible extraterrestrial activity. The conversation also mentions FBI files and a memo from General Ramey regarding the incident. The Hoover quote in the FBI files is discussed, but it is determined to be more about Hoover's personal ambition rather than evidence for or against the incident.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"In an effort to encourage an open dialogue among first-hand witnesses and those who remain skeptical, the Sci Fi Channel sponsored a “town hall meeting” Saturday at the Kecksburg fire hall. About 50 people attended."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/westmoreland/s_147868.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan,
I saw this on "Unsolved Mysteries"
a couple years go and it stood out in my mind as completely different
than most of the stuff in the genre: a whole town seeing all
those military types. Living
eyewitnesses reporting how they
were turned away, the kids being
told to misdirect people.

Given the story as it is, does it
smell like an extra-terrestrial,
or a classified military craft?
-zoob

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Ivan,
I saw this on "Unsolved Mysteries"
a couple years go and it stood out in my mind as completely different
than most of the stuff in the genre: a whole town seeing all
those military types. Living
eyewitnesses reporting how they
were turned away, the kids being
told to misdirect people.

Given the story as it is, does it
smell like an extra-terrestrial,
or a classified military craft?
-zoob

I think this is a new story to me...unless I know it by a different name. I plan to learn more about this promptly.

Hey, did you see the notation from Hoover in the FBI files? I mention this in the Roswell section of the Napster; page 1. I find this to be highly compelling. What is your take? To what else could he have been referring? This gets darn close to a smoking gun don't you think...unless for some reason the FBI was being fooled into believing in UFOs? Then, the recent claims that the Ramey memo can be read seems [also mentioned in the Roswell section] also to gets close to smoking gun proof. It will be interesting to see if we find general agreement about the text of this memo or not.

Ivan,

The Hoover quote seems like it
might only be a reaction to the
initial story about the recovery
of a disc at Roswell.

For at least a day this story
stood as Government fact. Hoover,
who was an ambitious man, was
probably envious that he had no
access, and no reason to be grant-
ed access.

Because someone advised him to
stay out of it, we know merely
that he was trying to get into
it, probably simply in reaction to
the newspaper story.

His response to this advice is
a reasonable sounding, but actual-
very unreasonable, non-barter:
he would agree to stay out of it but only as long as they agree to
allow him access to the disc.

As it stands, with no follow up
info, the quote says very little
to me about Roswell, but a lot about Hoover. It is a reasonable
course of speculation to suppose
that the weather balloon story
killed Hoover's interest in the
subject.

-zoob

Thank you for the link Ivan, but we have a thread specifically designed for UFO discussions:

UFO THREAD

1. What happened during the Kecksburg UFO incident?

The Kecksburg UFO incident refers to an event that occurred on December 9, 1965 in Kecksburg, Pennsylvania. Witnesses reported seeing a fireball streak across the sky and crash into the woods. The object was described as acorn-shaped and had strange markings on it. The military was called in to investigate and the object was quickly removed from the scene.

2. Was the object in Kecksburg really a UFO?

There is still much debate surrounding the identity of the object in the Kecksburg incident. Some believe it was a UFO, while others argue that it was a Soviet satellite that crashed. The official government explanation is that the object was a meteor, but many witnesses and researchers have disputed this claim.

3. What evidence supports the theory that it was a UFO?

Many eyewitnesses have described seeing strange markings on the object and reported that it was made of a metal that was not of this world. Additionally, some researchers have found discrepancies in the official government explanation and believe that there may have been a cover-up of the true nature of the object.

4. What evidence supports the theory that it was a Soviet satellite?

Some researchers have pointed out that the timing of the incident coincided with the re-entry of a Soviet satellite, Kosmos 96, into the Earth's atmosphere. They argue that the object seen in Kecksburg could have been debris from this satellite. However, there is no concrete evidence to support this theory and it does not explain the strange markings and other details reported by witnesses.

5. Why is the Kecksburg UFO incident still debated today?

The Kecksburg UFO incident remains a topic of debate because there is still no definitive answer as to what exactly crashed in the woods that day. The official government explanation has been met with skepticism and many witnesses and researchers continue to search for the truth about what really happened in Kecksburg in 1965.