Sides of a triangle given an area and an equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the values of a, b, and c of a triangle need to be found given that a+b+c=10 and the area is equal to 10. Various methods were attempted, including using the Pythagorean theorem and Heron's formula, but a solution could not be found. It was suggested that an equilateral triangle would maximize the area for a given perimeter, but even with that assumption, the area is still less than 10. The formula for the area of a triangle was also mentioned and it was concluded that the problem seems to be ill-posed.
maistral
WARNING: THIS IS NOT HOMEWORK~!

Okay, so the problem goes like this:
"Find a,b,c of a triangle; If a+b+c = 10 ; Area = 10"

I know it sounds totally vague (I think so too). So I tried using the Pythagorean theorem;

c2 = a2+b2

then the given equation;
10 - a - b = c;

then the formula for a right triangle;
10 = 1/2 * a * b; b = 20/a

finally;
(10 - a - 20/a)2 = a2+(20/a)2

And solving for a, it does not converge to a solution. I tried Heron's formula as well for the area; it doesn't converge properly as well (negative value for b). Am I missing something here; or is this problem really unsolvable?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
maistral said:
So I tried using the Pythagorean theorem;

We can't use pythagoras theorem because we don't know whether it's a right angle triangle or not.

adjacent said:
We can't use pythagoras theorem because we don't know whether it's a right angle triangle or not.

In that case, I don't know what the third equation is. Does anyone know? :(

maistral said:
Am I missing something here; or is this problem really unsolvable?

It seems clear that an equilateral triangle would maximize area for a given perimeter. [You could demonstrate this by fixing one side and reasoning that an isosceles triangle maximizes the area of a triangle with that fixed side. Apply the same reasoning to the remaining sides and you end up with an equilateral triangle]

The area of an equilateral triangle with perimeter 10 is way less than 10.

Try the formula for the area of a triangle sides a, b, c.
s is the semi perimeter, s=(a+b+c)/2

Area = √s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)

maistral said:
In that case, I don't know what the third equation is. Does anyone know? :(

There is no third equation.

Use Area = √{s (s - a)(s - b)(s - c)}, where area = 10, and s = a+b+c = 10.

Try fixing one side and see if you can come up with a sensible solution.

^that should be
Area = √{s (s - a)(s - b)(s - c)}, where area = 10, and 2s = a+b+c = 10
as mentioned above the maximal area is (25/9) √3~4.811<10
The problem is ill-posed
maybe a typo

Related to Sides of a triangle given an area and an equation.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle given an equation?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle given an equation is A = 1/2 * b * h, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height of the triangle.

2. Can the area and equation of a triangle determine its shape?

Yes, the area and equation of a triangle can determine its shape. Different equations and areas will result in different shapes, such as equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

3. Can an equation have multiple solutions for the sides of a triangle given an area?

Yes, an equation can have multiple solutions for the sides of a triangle given an area. This is because there can be more than one set of side lengths that satisfy the equation and result in the same area.

4. What information do I need to know in order to solve for the sides of a triangle given an area and an equation?

In addition to the area and equation, you will also need to know the type of triangle (e.g. equilateral, isosceles, scalene) and any other given side lengths or angle measurements.

5. Is there a specific method or technique for solving for the sides of a triangle given an area and an equation?

Yes, there are various methods for solving for the sides of a triangle given an area and an equation. Some common techniques include using trigonometric functions, the Pythagorean theorem, and algebraic manipulation. The appropriate method will depend on the given information and type of triangle.