Shuttle moving in a circular orbit

In summary, the space shuttle is moving in a circular orbit with a speed of 7.8km/s and a period of 87min. To return to Earth, the shuttle fires its retro engines opposite to its direction of motion, providing a deceleration of 6m/s^2. The total acceleration of the shuttle is 15426/29 m/sec^2. To solve for the radius of the orbit, you can use the universal law of gravitation, which requires the masses of the objects, but in this case, the satellite mass will cancel out.
clownbaby
The space shuttle is moving in a circular orbit with a speed of 7.8km/s and a period of 87min. In order to return Earth, the shuttle fires its retro engines opposite to its direction of motion. The engine provide a deceleration of 6m/s^2 that is constant in magnitude and direction. What is the total acceleration of the shuttle?

can't seem to understand how to start solving it. don't i need the radius of orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
clownbaby said:
don't i need the radius of orbit?
Yes. Use the universal law of gravitation to solve radius of the orbit.

i tried to solve it but I am not sure if it is correct.

ω=2pi/T
360/87x60=2/29
V=ω.r
2/29xr=7800
r=113100m = 113,1km
a = v^2/r = ω^2r (circular motion equations)
(2/29)^2x113,1=78/145 km/sec^2 = 15600/29 m/sec^2

the retro engine deceleration is 6m/sec^2
15600/29-6=15426/29 m/sec^2

is it correct? i really need help, confirmation on this.

lep11 said:
Yes. Use the universal law of gravitation to solve radius of the orbit.

gravitation law requires masses if am not mistaken and also i think this is a circular motion question.

clownbaby said:
gravitation law requires masses if am not mistaken and also i think this is a circular motion question.
Satellite mass will cancel out.

Related to Shuttle moving in a circular orbit

1. How does a shuttle move in a circular orbit?

A shuttle moves in a circular orbit due to the balance between its forward motion and the force of gravity pulling it towards the center of the orbit. This results in a curved path around the Earth, constantly falling towards it but never reaching the surface.

2. What keeps a shuttle in a circular orbit?

The force of gravity from the Earth keeps the shuttle in a circular orbit. This force is constantly pulling the shuttle towards the center of the orbit, causing it to move in a circular path around the Earth.

3. How fast does a shuttle travel in a circular orbit?

The speed of a shuttle in a circular orbit depends on its altitude and the mass of the Earth. On average, a shuttle in low Earth orbit travels at a speed of around 17,500 miles per hour.

4. Why does a shuttle not fall back to Earth when in a circular orbit?

A shuttle does not fall back to Earth when in a circular orbit because it is constantly moving forward at a high enough speed to counteract the force of gravity pulling it towards the Earth. This results in a stable orbit around the Earth.

5. Can a shuttle change its circular orbit?

Yes, a shuttle can change its circular orbit by using its thrusters to increase or decrease its speed. This will cause the shuttle to move into a higher or lower orbit, respectively. However, changing orbits requires precise calculations and careful maneuvers to avoid collisions with other objects in space.