Have you heard of the Electron Cascade Effect?

In summary: I would like to investigate it further before I just say it can't be possible. I'm guessing that the polarized plastic is what makes this work because supposedly, when free electrons released from the ionized air are absorbed into the plastic, they are directed in one direction across it with the help of the metal plates. Though it sounds far fetched, I think it's worth looking into. I understand the concern about using High voltage electricity to make this work, but really, if this thing really does absorb energy from the air, then that shouldn't be a problem if the circuits are tuned right. But I suppose it also depends on how much energy it can take in if any at all. Just my two cents
Jdo300
Hello all,

I have been doing some research into alternative energy sources when I came across this interesting principle called the electron cascade effect. Apparently, it allows one to draw energy from the ambient air particles. Here are some links I found concerning it. What do you all think?

http://energy21.freeservers.com/electroncasc.htm
http://energy21.freeservers.com/elecfg.htm
http://energy21.freeservers.com/principles.htm

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have read the pages. Not sure what to make of it. I am interested, however, in the sites discussion of the "Electret", which in any case appears to be a fundamental component of various devices stated.
Supposedly, certain plastics, when heated to near melting and subject to a high electrical potential(which is maintained until the plastic is cooled and solidified) causes a near permanent electrical polarization of the plastic.
I find that to be interesting if true.
I think the first course of action might be to determine the validity of that claim, since it is an integral component of the electron-cascade device.
Perhaps I will do some web searching, as time permits, to authenticate and report back here.

Thank you for your help. I am still searching for more information on this as well, although. I have been finding it quite difficult to find any information that relates specifically to the electron cascade effect. As for the polarized plastic, my initial thought when I read that part was "saran wrap?" I heard somewhere that they polarize it so that it always clings to things. Could the process they use to make it be similar to the polarizing process described in the article?

As for saran wrap, that's interesting, but I do not know. It's cling nature could be from any number of causes, but the mechanism behind that should be able to be found, likely from their own web site.
The electron cascade effect, as such, is not a new phenomenon, but it's application using "polarized plastic" is. It is for that reason that I give special emphasis in determining whether or not polarized plastic is true.
Even then, it may not be enough to determine if the device would work as described, but it certainly would be a good first start.
It might be possible to contact the author of those web pages you listed to get further information, or perhaps doing a Google search on other key terms used in those pages could bear results.

What is it you wish to do with this effect? It is NOT a free source of electrons, notice that there is a high frequency, high voltage source involved. This supplies the energy to the electron cascade. Such devices have been in use in photo multiplier tubes for a long time, nothing new or magic about it.

Integral said:
What is it you wish to do with this effect? It is NOT a free source of electrons, notice that there is a high frequency, high voltage source involved. This supplies the energy to the electron cascade. Such devices have been in use in photo multiplier tubes for a long time, nothing new or magic about it.

Certainly agreed, as per my previous post.
Integral, do you have any knowledge concerning electrically polarized plastics? That is, is it true or possible?

I have no direct knowledge of this, but see no reason that it should not be possible.

According to the article, it is possible to build a generator that can absorb the freed up electrons around it that result from the air molecules colliding with each other releasing free electrons, which collide with other air molecules starting a chain reaction (well, that’s how in interpret it at least). Now, I don't know if this is true, nor do I vouch for it. It just sounds like an interesting possibility and I would like to investigate it further before I just say it can't be possible. I'm guessing that the polarized plastic is what makes this work because supposedly, when free electrons released from the ionized air are absorbed into the plastic, they are directed in one direction across it with the help of the metal plates. Though it sounds far fetched, I think it's worth looking into. I understand the concern about using High voltage electricity to make this work, but really, if this thing really does absorb energy from the air, then that shouldn't be a problem if the circuits are tuned right. But I suppose it also depends on how much energy it can take in if any at all. Just my two cents worth :rolleyes:

Jdo300 said:
According to the article, it is possible to build a generator that can absorb the freed up electrons around it that result from the air molecules colliding with each other releasing free electrons, which collide with other air molecules starting a chain reaction (well, that’s how in interpret it at least). Now, I don't know if this is true, nor do I vouch for it. It just sounds like an interesting possibility and I would like to investigate it further before I just say it can't be possible. I'm guessing that the polarized plastic is what makes this work because supposedly, when free electrons released from the ionized air are absorbed into the plastic, they are directed in one direction across it with the help of the metal plates. Though it sounds far fetched, I think it's worth looking into. I understand the concern about using High voltage electricity to make this work, but really, if this thing really does absorb energy from the air, then that shouldn't be a problem if the circuits are tuned right. But I suppose it also depends on how much energy it can take in if any at all. Just my two cents worth :rolleyes:

I'm just curious. You said you were doing "research" into an alternative energy source. May I ask why you would be basing your research on some crank website and not from peer-reviewed journals?

Go to a library, and look up "secondary emission" and "multipaction". If you pay close attention to the secondary emission yield of most dielectric and metals, and the ionization energy of air, and then go back to those websites you originally cited, you will see how little whoever wrote these sites know about physics. I certainly would not base my knowledge of anything from them.

Zz.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will look up the terms you mentioned.

- Jason O

1. What is the Electron Cascade effect?

The Electron Cascade effect is a phenomenon that occurs when high-energy electrons collide with atoms, causing them to release additional electrons. This creates a chain reaction, resulting in a cascade of electrons being released.

2. What causes the Electron Cascade effect?

The Electron Cascade effect is caused by high-energy particles, such as gamma rays or X-rays, interacting with atoms in a material. These particles have enough energy to knock electrons out of their orbit, creating a cascade effect.

3. What are the applications of the Electron Cascade effect?

The Electron Cascade effect has applications in various fields, including radiation detection, photomultiplier tubes, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans.

4. How is the Electron Cascade effect different from the Photoelectric effect?

While both the Electron Cascade effect and the Photoelectric effect involve the release of electrons from atoms, they differ in their mechanisms. The Electron Cascade effect involves the collision of high-energy particles, while the Photoelectric effect is caused by the absorption of photons.

5. Can the Electron Cascade effect occur in a vacuum?

No, the Electron Cascade effect requires the presence of atoms to occur. In a vacuum, there are no atoms for the high-energy particles to interact with, thus the Electron Cascade effect cannot occur.