Showing that a wavefunction can be written as a product

In summary: You misinterpreted my hint! I just choose ##y = z = 0## because it was the easiest to write down. Try setting ##y = y_0, z = z_0##.You're missing something much more obvious. There is no complicated maths...In summary, the conversation is about solving for a 3-dimensional potential box and the use of the 3D Schrödinger equation. The student is unsure of how to proceed with the solution and is attempting to use a similar method to what was used in 1D, but is struggling to find the correct approach. The expert hints at using the same trick used in 1D and suggests setting two of the coordinates to specific values to simplify
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

Let us look at a 3-dimensional potential box. Show, that the wave function in this situation can be written as the product of 3 single-argument functions.

Homework Equations

The 3D Schrödinger equation:
\begin{equation}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial z^2} \right) + V\Psi = E\Psi,
\end{equation}
where ##\Psi = \Psi(x,y,z)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not at all sure how I'm supposed to show that this is true. I have not worked with partial differential equations at all, so I'm probably not in the right with what I tried to do:

I assumed, that ##\Psi(x,y,z) = \Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)##, and tried plugging it into the Schrödinger equation as follows:

\begin{gather*}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} &\left( \frac{\partial^2 \Psi(x,y,z)}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi(x,y,z)}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi(x,y,z)}{\partial z^2} \right) + V\Psi(x,y,z) = E\Psi(x,y,z)\\
\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)}{\partial z^2} \right)
+ V\Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z) = E\Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)\\
\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z) \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} + \Psi_x(x) \Psi_z(z) \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_y(y)}{\partial y^2} + \Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_z(z)}{\partial z^2} \right)
+ V\Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z) = E\Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)
\end{gather*}

Dividing by ## \Psi_x(x) \Psi_y(y) \Psi_z(z)##:
\begin{gather*}

-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{\Psi_y(y)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_y(y)}{\partial y^2} + \frac{1}{\Psi_z(z)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_z(z)}{\partial z^2} \right)
+ V = E

\end{gather*}
But... Now what? Is there a way to proceed from here, or did I not pursue the correct path?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheSodesa said:
But... Now what? Is there a way to proceed from here, or did I not pursue the correct path?

Looks good. You just need a bit of insight to see what to do now. Can you remember what you did with separation of ##x## and ##t## functions in 1D?

PeroK said:
Looks good. You just need a bit of insight to see what to do now. Can you remember what you did with separation of ##x## and ##t## functions in 1D?

Basically, we did what I just did: Plugged the product into the original equation, which resulted in a similar expression to what I just wrote. Then the trick was to notice, that each side of the equation is dependent on only a single variable. My book claims that this results in both of the sides of the equation being a separation constant ##C##, which later turned out to be the energy ##E##.

Are you saying I should have taken the time dependence into account? At a quick glance, it doesn't seem that I could use the same trick here.

TheSodesa said:
Basically, we did what I just did: Plugged the product into the original equation, which resulted in a similar expression to what I just wrote. Then the trick was to notice, that each side of the equation is dependent on only a single variable. My book claims that this results in both of the sides of the equation being a separation constant ##C##, which later turned out to be the energy ##E##.

Are you saying I should have taken the time dependence into account? At a quick glance, it doesn't seem that I could use the same trick here.

No, in 1D you had two variables, here you have three. You can use the same trick. To give you a big hint: try setting ##y = z = 0## in your equation.

PeroK said:
No, in 1D you had two variables, here you have three. You can use the same trick. To give you a big hint: try setting ##y = z = 0## in your equation.

Well, if I do that, since we are talking about an infinite potential outside the box, the wave functions ## \Psi_y(y)## and ## \Psi_z(z)## go to zero at ##y = 0## and ##z = 0## respectively, because of continuity. We are of course assuming, that the coordinates are placed as to allow this to happen.

Our equation then becomes:
\begin{gather*}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right) + V = E
\end{gather*}

At these specific coordinates of ##y## and ##z## the potential ##V(x,y,z)## is also only a function of ##x##. Therefore our equation becomes:
\begin{gather*}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right) + V(x) = E(x)\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right) = E(x) - V(x)
\end{gather*}
Now the question is, does this hold in general? Could I replace ## -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right)## with ##E(x) - V(x)## in the original equation?

TheSodesa said:
Well, if I do that, since we are talking about an infinite potential outside the box, the wave functions ## \Psi_y(y)## and ## \Psi_z(z)## go to zero at ##y = 0## and ##z = 0## respectively, because of continuity. We are of course assuming, that the coordinates are placed as to allow this to happen.

Our equation then becomes:
\begin{gather*}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right) + V = E
\end{gather*}

At these specific coordinates of ##y## and ##z## the potential ##V(x,y,z)## is also only a function of ##x##. Therefore our equation becomes:
\begin{gather*}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right) + V(x) = E(x)\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} & \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right) = E(x) - V(x)
\end{gather*}
Now the question is, does this hold in general? Could I replace ## -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right)## with ##E(x) - V(x)## in the original equation?

You misinterpreted my hint! I just choose ##y = z = 0## because it was the easiest to write down. Try setting ##y = y_0, z = z_0##.

You're missing something much more obvious. There is no complicated maths involved.

PeroK said:
You misinterpreted my hint!
As per usual. :sorry:

My brain really wants to go the complicated math route for some reason. If ##y## and ##z## constant, that means we are only moving along the ##x##-axis. This means our wave functions don't change in those directions, and their derivatives are zero. Also, our potential ##V = V(x,y_0,z_0)##, and energy ##E = E(x,y_0,z_0)##. The wave equation in this case is:
[tex]
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \frac{1}{\Psi_x(x)} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} \right)+ V(x,y_0,z_0) = E(x,y_0,z_0)
[/tex]
So at certain points ##y=y_0## and ##z = z_0##, our energy only depends on the x-coordinate. If we chose the ##x##-coordinate to be constant, and let ##y## vary, we would get the same result, as with ##z## as well.

I'm again hesitating to say what this means in general. Does this lead to us being able to write ##V(x,y,z)## as ##V(x) + V(y) + V(z)##, and the same with the energy ##E##? How does this help us?

PeroK said:
You misinterpreted my hint! I just choose ##y = z = 0## because it was the easiest to write down. Try setting ##y = y_0, z = z_0##.

You're missing something much more obvious. There is no complicated maths involved.

Wait, have I just solved it after all? The fact that our problem was reduced to a single variable problem as long as we let the other variables be constant is what I was looking for, wasn't it? Or have I misunderstood this again?

TheSodesa said:
Wait, have I just solved it after all? The fact that our problem was reduced to a single variable problem as long as we let the other variables be constant is what I was looking for, wasn't it? Or have I misunderstood this again?
That's it. One of your problems I think is that you got confused by the second derivatives. These are just functions of ##x,y,z##. So, you could rewrite your equation with, say, ##f(x) = (\frac{\partial \Psi_x^2}{\partial x^2})/\Psi_x##, and ##g(y), h(z)## similarly.

Then, it's more obvious that ##g(0), h(0)## or ##g(y_0), h(z_0)## are just some constants, and you have an equation for ##f(x)## involving nothing but constants.

Likes TheSodesa
PeroK said:
That's it. One of your problems I think is that you got confused by the second derivatives. These are just functions of ##x,y,z##. So, you could rewrite your equation with, say, ##f(x) = (\frac{\partial \Psi_x^2}{\partial x^2})/\Psi_x##, and ##g(y), h(z)## similarly.

Then, it's more obvious that ##g(0), h(0)## or ##g(y_0), h(z_0)## are just some constants, and you have an equation for ##f(x)## involving nothing but constants.

Thank you so much.

PeroK said:

I also wanted to say, that it wasn't so much the derivatives, but the potential ##V(x,y,z)## and energy ##E(x,y,z)## still being functions of 3 variables even if moved them to the other side of the equation. So even if I solved for ##f(x)##, say, it wouldn't actually be a function of just ##x##, at least in my head.

It took a lot of thinking to realize, that we chose ##y_0## and ##z_0## at random, which negated any loss of generality. Actually suggesting to let them be equal to zero really threw me off. :confused:

TheSodesa said:
I also wanted to say, that it wasn't so much the derivatives, but the potential ##V(x,y,z)## and energy ##E(x,y,z)## still being functions of 3 variables even if moved them to the other side of the equation. So even if I solved for ##f(x)##, say, it wouldn't actually be a function of just ##x##, at least in my head.

It took a lot of thinking to realize, that we chose ##y_0## and ##z_0## at random, which negated any loss of generality. Actually suggesting to let them be equal to zero really threw me off. :confused:
This process works because ##V## and ##E## are constant.

You only needed one value of ##y## and ##z##. They didn't need to be arbitrary. Although, as ##g## and ##h## also turn out to be constant, it didn't matter what values you chose.

PeroK said:
This process works because ##V## and ##E## are constant.

You only needed one value of ##y## and ##z##. They didn't need to be arbitrary. Although, as ##g## and ##h## also turn out to be constant, it didn't matter what values you chose.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Related to Showing that a wavefunction can be written as a product

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding the system in a particular state. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How is a wavefunction written?

A wavefunction is typically written as a complex-valued function, denoted by the symbol Ψ (psi). It depends on the coordinates of the system and represents the amplitude of the wave at a given point in space.

3. What does it mean to write a wavefunction as a product?

Writing a wavefunction as a product means that it can be expressed as the product of two or more functions, each of which depends on different variables. This is a common technique used in quantum mechanics to simplify calculations and solve problems.

4. Why is it important to show that a wavefunction can be written as a product?

Showing that a wavefunction can be written as a product allows us to separate the variables and solve the Schrödinger equation for each individual function, making it easier to understand and analyze the system. It also helps to identify any symmetries or patterns in the wavefunction.

5. What are the limitations of writing a wavefunction as a product?

Not all wavefunctions can be written as a product of functions. This method is only applicable to certain types of systems, such as those with separable variables. In more complex systems, the wavefunction may not be able to be expressed in this way and other methods must be used.