Showing that a momentum space wave function is normalized

In summary: Then you would have had ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ik(x-y)} \mathrm{d}k##. Now you can use the delta function as you did. It's better to convert back to the original variable, because it will simplify the answer.
Rubber Ducky

Homework Statement

Using the following expression for the Dirac delta function: $$\delta(k-k')=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i(k-k')x} \mathrm{d}x$$

Show that if a position space wave function $$\Psi(x,t)$$ is normalized at time t=0, then it is also true that the corresponding momentum space $$\Phi(p_x,t)$$ is normalized at t=0.

Homework Equations

$$\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi(x,0)\mathrm{d}x$$

From which it follows that $$\Phi^*(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi^*(x,0)\mathrm{d}x$$

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to show that $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Phi(p_x,0)\Phi^*(p_x,0)\mathrm{d}p_x=1$$

To get started, we look at the modulus squared of the momentum space wave function, which can be written as a double integral instead of a product of integrals: $$\Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi^*(x,0)\mathrm{d}x \right)\left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi(x,0)\mathrm{d}x \right)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{p_xy}{\hbar}-\frac{p_xx}{\hbar})}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0)\mathrm{d}y \mathrm{d}x$$

From here, I'm pretty sure I'm meant to manipulate the double integral until it looks like I'm integrating a delta function, using the form of the Dirac delta given to me, to simplify, and then simplify further using the fact that the position wave function is normalized. I just can't see how to manipulate the integrand to get that far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubber Ducky said:
To get started, we look at the modulus squared of the momentum space wave function, which can be written as a double integral instead of a product of integrals: $$\Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi^*(x,0)\mathrm{d}x \right)\left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi(x,0)\mathrm{d}x \right)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{p_xy}{\hbar}-\frac{p_xx}{\hbar})}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0)\mathrm{d}y \mathrm{d}x$$
OK. This looks good to me.

From here, I'm pretty sure I'm meant to manipulate the double integral until it looks like I'm integrating a delta function, using the form of the Dirac delta given to me, to simplify, ...
You won't be able to do that. Try using your result to set up ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Phi(p_x,0)\Phi^*(p_x,0)\mathrm{d}p_x## and then see if you can manipulate to get the Dirac delta function.

Integrate the last expression w.r.t. to ##p_x## and use the Dirac function definition.

Thank you both for the suggestion. So I have ##\Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{p_xy}{\hbar}-\frac{p_xx}{\hbar})}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0)\mathrm{d}y \mathrm{d}x##, and so ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)\mathrm{d}p_x=\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0) \left( \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i(\frac{y}{\hbar}-\frac{x}{\hbar})p_x} \mathrm{d}p_x\right)\mathrm{d}y\mathrm{d}x##
##=\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0) \delta(\frac{y}{\hbar}-\frac{x}{\hbar})\mathrm{d}y\mathrm{d}x##

With the change of variables ##y'=\frac{y}{\hbar},x'=\frac{x}{\hbar}##, we get ##\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x'\hbar,0)\Psi^*(y'\hbar,0) \delta(y'-x')\mathrm{d}y'\mathrm{d}x'=\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x'\hbar,0)\Psi^*(x'\hbar,0) \mathrm{d}x'=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(x,0) \mathrm{d}x=1##

And so ##\Phi## is normalized at time ##t=0##. I'm unsure if I used the property of the delta function correctly, however, since the argument of ##\Psi^*## was ##y'\hbar## and not simply ##y'##...

Rubber Ducky said:
And so ##\Phi## is normalized at time ##t=0##. I'm unsure if I used the property of the delta function correctly, however, since the argument of ##\Psi^*## was ##y'\hbar## and not simply ##y'##...
Your work looks good to me. You could have made the change of variable back in the px integral by letting k = px/ħ.

Last edited:

Related to Showing that a momentum space wave function is normalized

1. What is a momentum space wave function?

A momentum space wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's momentum in quantum mechanics. It describes the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value.

2. How is the normalization of a momentum space wave function shown?

The normalization of a momentum space wave function is shown by integrating the absolute square of the wave function over all possible momentum values and ensuring that the result is equal to 1.

3. Why is it important to show that a momentum space wave function is normalized?

It is important to show that a momentum space wave function is normalized because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value is equal to one. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is necessary for accurately predicting the behavior of particles.

4. What is the significance of the normalization constant in a momentum space wave function?

The normalization constant in a momentum space wave function represents the amplitude of the wave function and is necessary for calculating the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value. It also ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any possible momentum state is equal to 1.

5. How does the normalization of a momentum space wave function relate to the uncertainty principle?

The normalization of a momentum space wave function is related to the uncertainty principle because it is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we know its position, and vice versa. The normalization of the wave function allows us to calculate the probability of a particle having a specific momentum, thus indirectly affecting our knowledge of its position.