Showing equivalent potential expressions for a Transverse String

In summary, the derivation shows that the potential energy of a taut string with two masses can be calculated using the force constant and the displacement of the masses along the y-axis. This is because the effective spring constant is equal to the tension in the string divided by the distance between the masses, and the potential energy is zero at equilibrium. This results in a simplified equation for the potential energy of each mass in terms of their respective displacements.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

I'm going through the derivation here starting on page 16. This image adds some context:
string.PNG

Generalizing their result to the i'th particle they find the extended distance between two masses being ##\Delta l= \frac{(y_i-y_{i-1})^2}{2a}## Then since the potential energy is given by force * displacement they obtain $$V_i=\frac{F}{2a}(y_i-y_{i-1})^2$$ where ##F## is the tension in the string.

However since the string is stretching Hooke's law should apply which then results in the potential being ##V_i=\frac{1}{2}kx^2##, I'm having trouble showing this produces the same result as above

Homework Equations

##F=-kx##, where x is the extended distance

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Ignoring the sign convention and using ##F=kx## we sub into the potential equation and get ##V_i=\frac{1}{2}Fx##, but x is just the extended distance ##\Delta l## therefore $$V_i = \frac{F}{2}\frac{(y_i-y_{i-1})^2}{2a}=\frac{F}{4a}(y_i-y_{i-1})^2$$ so I've obtained an extra factor of 1/2 but I can't seem to figure out why

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you missed the importance of the following statement in the derivation
It is also supposed that the tension in the string is F and that the displacements are sufficiently small that this is constant.
The effective spring constant is ##k = F/a## and the potential energy of the taut string is zero at equilibrium. When you displace the first mass straight up by (a very small) ##y_1##, its potential energy is ##V_1 = \frac{1}{2}(F/a)y_1^2##. When you displace the second mass straight up by ## y_2##, its potential energy is ##V_2 = \frac{1}{2}(F/a)(y_2-y_1)^2## and so on.

Likes Potatochip911
kuruman said:
I think you missed the importance of the following statement in the derivation

The effective spring constant is ##k = F/a## and the potential energy of the taut string is zero at equilibrium. When you displace the first mass straight up by (a very small) ##y_1##, its potential energy is ##V_1 = \frac{1}{2}(F/a)y_1^2##. When you displace the second mass straight up by ## y_2##, its potential energy is ##V_2 = \frac{1}{2}(F/a)(y_2-y_1)^2## and so on.

Hmmm, I can see that this gives the same result as the answer but I don't understand it. It's written in the form ##V_1=\frac{1}{2}(k)d^2## where you subbed in the effective spring constant however I can't understand why we are allowed to write the displacement of the string as merely the y-component when displacing along the y-axis results in a triangle being formed.

Related to Showing equivalent potential expressions for a Transverse String

1. What is a transverse string?

A transverse string is a type of string that vibrates perpendicular to its length, as opposed to longitudinally. This type of string is commonly found in instruments such as guitars, violins, and pianos.

2. How does a transverse string produce sound?

When a transverse string is plucked or struck, it begins to vibrate at a certain frequency, which in turn creates sound waves. These sound waves travel through the air and are perceived as sound by our ears.

3. What are potential expressions for a transverse string?

Potential expressions for a transverse string refer to the mathematical equations or representations that describe the motion and behavior of the string. These can include wave equations, harmonic equations, and energy equations.

4. Why is it important to show equivalent potential expressions for a transverse string?

Showing equivalent potential expressions allows us to better understand the physical phenomena of transverse strings and their behavior. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of different mathematical models and their accuracy in describing the string's motion.

5. What are some common equivalent potential expressions for a transverse string?

Some common equivalent potential expressions for a transverse string include the wave equation (y = A sin(kx - ωt)), the harmonic equation (y = A cos(ωt) + B sin(ωt)), and the energy equation (E = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 kx^2), among others. These expressions can vary depending on the specific properties and conditions of the string being studied.