Where Are All These New Visitors Coming From?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Integral Web search? Yes, Integral found this forum through a link on another forum. When Ivan Seeking started the thread about the record-breaking number of users, it seems that the increase is due to the fact that the forum has been indexed by search engines.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Over the last few weeks this board has set a new record for number of users on nearly a daily basis. I can't help but wonder why we seem to be seeing such an increase in visitors.

If you are a newcomer (last 30 days or so) how did you find us?

Web search?
Follow a link?

If it was a link where was it?

Thanks, I am sure that there are many old timers here who are as curious as I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
759 new members since a month ago. Wow.

That's 1/4 of our members!

Originally posted by Integral
Web search?

Last name: Begins with T, ends with R.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking

ahhh... John?

When I started that thread I had no idea that it would turn into a monster. I kinda forgot about it, gads! Generally when I start then ignor a thread it sinks like a rock.

I have another theory that I am thinking about, just trying to test it without bias.

I dropped out of college in my junior year. I was an undergraduate math and physics major. Recently, I have been bitten by the learning bug again.

I found this site by looking at links on reimmann's zeta function. I have loved every minute since. I am trying to bring my knowledge and practice to where it was in college. Expect lots of question from me on classical physics to GR.

This site is great and thanks to all that participate
Pan

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking

I dunno. I just Googled him, and we didn't even show up in the top ten.

How deep do people usually go on this guy?

Where did I see those stats? Mentors? Greg; care to comment?

Actually John hasn't made much of a mark this month, he was the star last month. I think the explosion is due to the text archive being indexed by search engines. Normally forums can't be fully indexed because of the amount of querystring characters, but the archive doesn't use any so it's completely indexable. For example go into the text archive, click on a thread. Copy the thread title into google and PF will be first in the results.

Yes, actually I recently ran a query in Google on a processor type and PF came up, which was kinda cool and very helpfull too :)

I guess that would explain all the guests, now, are we seeing a boom in members too? What I've seen we usually have between 20-30 at a time..

Last edited:
I surf so much that I encountered your site somewhere. I surely bookmarked it right away and have visited it everyday since. I only joined as a member to ask a question in the "General Discussion" forum, which was answered quite quickly so that was cool...

I typed a few key words into Google to try and find the answer to a Physics problem that I couldn't find the answer too (Energy loss of a redshifted photon) A link then bought me to this site.

I think that this site is absolutely brilliant and I hope to participate in both asking and answering (easy ones) questions.

Keep it up folks!

!

Hey Great!
Thanks for the explanation Greg! Welcome to all newcomers!

What does it mean when someone says "Lots of new people here."?

This phrase typically indicates that there are many unfamiliar individuals present in the current location or situation. It could refer to a large group of people who are new to an organization, event, or community.

Why do people often mention "Lots of new people here."?

People may bring up this topic to acknowledge and draw attention to the influx of new individuals. They may also want to express their excitement or surprise at seeing so many new faces.

How can someone respond to the statement "Lots of new people here."?

A person could respond by asking for clarification on who the new people are, or by expressing their own observations or thoughts on the matter. They could also use this as an opportunity to introduce themselves and start conversations with the new people.

What are some potential implications of "Lots of new people here."?

This statement could suggest that there will be changes or adjustments needed to accommodate the new people. It could also imply opportunities for networking and making new connections.

Is the phrase "Lots of new people here." always a positive thing?

Not necessarily. While it could indicate a sense of growth and diversity, it could also signal potential challenges in integrating and getting to know the new people. It ultimately depends on the context and the individual's perspective.