Good physics topic for my in class presentation

In summary, a good physics topic for an in-class presentation could be the photoelectric effect and its applications. One suggestion is the Hallwachs experiment, which demonstrates how light can cause an electroscope to discharge by kicking out electrons from a zinc plate. This experiment also shows how glass can prevent this effect due to its blocking of UV light.
rspandher
can somebody please suggest me a good physics topic for my in class presentation. i am in third semester college physics and we have to built something using physics. there is so much in physics. i can not figure what to do for the presentation. somebody please give me a good advice on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rspandher,
if you can think of so many things, why not pick the most interesting one? There must be, I think, some experiments which have been fascinating to you for a long time, but you never exactly figured out how they work. Or things that have been discussed intensely among students with no final conclusion. Being 3rd semester, I imagine something mechanical, electromagnetic or optical would be good - is it the same in India? Also, since you are to *build* something, electronics is maybe a good idea...

project

thankque arcnets for giving a advice on the project. yea i want to to do something more with the photoelectric effect but i don't know whatto do with it. are there any applications of photoelectric effect which i could show in the class using easily available material.

Yes. It's called the Hallwachs experiment. All you need is an ordinary electroscope plus a zinc plate to fix on top. Now charge the electroscope positive, and expose the zinc plate to light. Nothing will happen. But charge negative, and the electroscope will discharge quickly when zinc plate is exposed to light. This is because electrons get kicked out by photons. Note, the zinc plate has to be polished properly, prior to each experiment. Since zinc easily builds up oxides on the surface which spoil the effect.
The next step you show is, it won't work when the light falls thru glass. Since only the UV component produces the effect, and glass blocks that. Good luck!

What makes a good physics topic for an in-class presentation?

A good physics topic for an in-class presentation should be interesting, relevant, and understandable for your audience. It should also be well-researched and have enough information available for you to create a comprehensive presentation.

How can I choose a topic that will engage my classmates?

Choose a topic that is relatable and has real-world applications. You can also incorporate interactive demonstrations or experiments to keep your classmates engaged and interested.

Can I choose a topic that is not covered in our textbook?

Yes, you can choose a topic that is not covered in your textbook, as long as it relates to the subject of physics and has enough information available for you to research and present on.

Is it better to choose a broad or specific topic for my presentation?

It is generally better to choose a specific topic for your presentation, as it allows you to go into more depth and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject. However, make sure the topic is not too narrow that it becomes difficult to find information on.

How can I make sure my presentation is accurate and scientifically sound?

Make sure to thoroughly research your topic and use reputable sources such as scientific journals, textbooks, and credible websites. You can also consult with your teacher or a knowledgeable expert in the field to ensure the accuracy of your information.