Achieving Invisibility with Water Diffraction: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter oozie1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making objects invisible by using light diffraction and refraction in water. It is suggested to use steep angles or lightguides to create the illusion of invisibility, but there may be limitations in terms of geometry and practicality. The conversation also references a website with further information on the topic.
oozie1
I am really new to this site and I'm only 15 so if this sounds unclear please forgive:

When light hits water it diffracts so i want to ask would it be possible to make something invisible between this medium of when the light hits the water and defracts.

Physics news on Phys.org
But not all the light refracts right? Remember you can see through water as well as see reflections off of it. So some light will go through the water and interact with what you trying to make invisible. I guess you could try to use steep angles to the enemy so all they see is reflected light (like a flattened boat using a sheet of water covering it to reflect light away to make it look like part of the lake or river) but that would only work in bright days and would easily be compromised by polarized sunglasses.

Thanks still...
.......oozie......

Originally posted by oozie1
I am really new to this site and I'm only 15 so if this sounds unclear please forgive:

Welcome to the PFs, oozie1! :smile:

By the way, there's no such thing as "only 15".

ok hows this let's say you have a large flat sheet of metal, you cover bothe sides with small cameras and projecters. the projecters at the front give out the image from the cameras on the back and vice versa, so although the object is not invisiable you technically see through it, however this only works 2d, we now need to try and make it work 3d, help?

Interesting question, oozie1.
My idea is, you use lightguides (fibres). You could build a hollow ball, and connect any two antipode points with a lightguide. Everything inside the ball would be invisible because the light is guided around it. But I think you get problems with the geometry - there is not enough space for the fibers to twist around each other inside the ball.

but would my ide work do you think, or could it have the same problem when made 3d

1. Can water diffraction truly make objects invisible?

Currently, scientists have not been able to achieve complete invisibility with water diffraction. While it can cause objects to appear partially transparent or distorted, it is not yet possible to achieve complete invisibility using this method.

2. How does water diffraction work to potentially achieve invisibility?

Water diffraction is the process of bending and scattering light waves as they pass through water. This can cause objects to appear distorted or even partially invisible. However, the angle and intensity of light must be precisely controlled for this effect to be achieved.

3. What are the limitations of using water diffraction for invisibility?

One of the main limitations is that water diffraction is highly dependent on precise control of light angles and intensity. Any deviation from these parameters can greatly reduce the effectiveness of the invisibility effect. Additionally, this method only works with specific types of light, such as visible light, and may not be effective in all environments.

4. Are there any potential real-world applications for achieving invisibility with water diffraction?

While complete invisibility has not yet been achieved, there are potential applications for using water diffraction to manipulate light and create cloaking devices. This technology could have potential uses in military and defense applications, as well as in medical imaging and other scientific research fields.

5. What are some current research efforts being made to achieve invisibility with water diffraction?

Scientists are currently exploring various ways to improve the effectiveness of water diffraction for achieving invisibility. This includes developing new materials and techniques for controlling light angles and intensity. Some research is also being done on combining water diffraction with other methods, such as metamaterials, to potentially achieve better results.