Genetic engineering: a moral question

In summary: I doubt it will be done.In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of genetically engineering a human-chimpanzee hybrid and the ethical implications of such a creation. The article being referenced compares the genomes of humans and chimpanzees, highlighting their close genetic similarity. The conversation delves into the technical aspects of such an experiment and the moral implications of creating a being with a non-standard origin. It is ultimately concluded that the hybrid would be classified as a hybrid, similar to a horse and donkey producing a mule, and the experiment is deemed unethical and unlikely to be performed.
Geuis
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031219072314.htm

The above article basically is talking about a genetic comparison of the genomes of chimpanzees and humans and how both of our species has differentiated from our common ancestor X millions of years ago.

Since humans and chimpanzees are something like 98.9 percent the same genetically, it brought something to mind.
Suppose that you took a fertilized chimpanzee egg cell. You then genetically engineered the DNA and RNA in the cell to replace all of the 1.1% chimpanzee genes with the human genes that occupy those positions in our genome.
You then implanted this modified egg into a human woman to carry to term.

Since the cell is now genetically human and should grow into a human baby, let's ask a moral question. Is the resulting baby considered fully human, or a genetically engineered chimpanzee?

To quell any what-if? questions, the baby will look absolutely normal, will have normal human mental faculties and will be able to interbreed with any other human beings with no problems.
My question is strictly about how we define this being because of its non-standard origins.

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Geuis
Since humans and chimpanzees are something like 98.9 percent the same genetically, it brought something to mind.
Suppose that you took a fertilized chimpanzee egg cell. You then genetically engineered the DNA and RNA in the cell to replace all of the 1.1% chimpanzee genes with the human genes that occupy those positions in our genome.

Technically, it is not 1.1% genes, it is the base pair. Replacing these gene would be a hell of a job and migth not have any effect.

You then implanted this modified egg into a human woman to carry to term.

The egg migth not be able to develop in a human.

Since the cell is now genetically human and should grow into a human baby, let's ask a moral question. Is the resulting baby considered fully human, or a genetically engineered chimpanzee?

It probally won't be human and should be consider a genetically engineered chimpanzee.

What do you get when you cross a horse with a donkey? The same might be the case if we cross a chimpanzee with a human.

Actually, isn't the ability to reproduce across breeds a measure of specifiation?

But it is unethical to perform such an experiment, so I doubt if we'll ever find out.

Originally posted by Monique
What do you get when you cross a horse with a donkey?
Btw, horse + donkey = mule (not fertile)

As I expected, no one could actually just commit to answering the proposed question.

Again, in the mock situation we are *ASSUMING* that science has the capability of replacing chimp-specific genes with their human equivalents.
THIS MEANS THE NEW ENGINEERED EMBRYO IS FULLY GENETICALLY HUMAN.
As I said before, in this example the embryo will be carried to term by the woman, and the creature will grow up like a normal human and will be able to interbreed.
Its not a question about if it would work or not, the question is about the moral classification of the person. Is he/she considered a human being, or a genetically engineered chimpanzee?

It is considered a hybrid, as I said: horse + donkey = mule.

Btw, the engineered organism WON'T be 100% genetically human. The figure that humans and chimp are 98.9% (something like that) the same, doesn't mean that the chimp has 1.1% extra genes which make it chimp.

The figure is based on the identity of the DNA code, for instance:

ACGGT chimp
ACGGA human

That means the identity is 80%, since that is the number of equal bases. That doesn't say anything about the genes. The chimp genes are most likely mutated and have different regulatory sequences, the genes HAVE the same evolutionary origin but have diverged since then.

None can predict what will happen when such an experiment would be tried. So: missing genes have to be put in, extra genes have to be taken out and then there is still a large proportion of mutated genes and sequences.

I think that througout history it has been the case that anything that sparks human curiosity will be explored to the fullest. I really believe that there is no way to circumvent this. In most cases this is a great blessing, but in others it is unfortunate.

I am wondering about something.. I seem to recall that Hitler used to do experiments on genetics.. did he ever attempt to cross a human with another species?

Some of the experiments he did, might be in here:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/328/19/1429

Well, since Hitler was so much against inter-breeding, I guess he didn't do the experiments..

Last edited:
What do you get when you cross a horse with a donkey? The same might be the case if we cross a chimpanzee with a human.

Actually, isn't the ability to reproduce across breeds a measure of specifiation?

But it is unethical to perform such an experiment, so I doubt if we'll ever find out.

I. I agree if you cross breed a horse and a donkey, it might be the same case as a chimpanzee and a human.
II. The ability to reproduce is specification, yes.

I like how you said we'll I am going to take that as 'us' as of our generation won't find out? Otherwise, I would disagree and say that someday we will find out. It is a process that isn't ready to undergo.

The ability to reproduce across breeds and have offspring which are fertile and can breed is a mesure of specification. Like you said, horses and donkeys can breed, but they're of different species.

I'm sure anyone who really wanted to could get a chimpanzee and artificially (or natrually, there are some crazy people out there) enseminate it and see what happened, people seem to have no problem locating chimanzees in the wild while shooting documentries.

Originally posted by wasteofo2
I'm sure anyone who really wanted to could get a chimpanzee and artificially (or natrually, there are some crazy people out there) enseminate it and see what happened, people seem to have no problem locating chimanzees in the wild while shooting documentries.
Well, that is how they say the first HIV infection took place.. so who knows how many hybrids have been born in the past centuries..

A thought just came up, a pregnant chimp will probably actually never deliver a hybrid, since the size of the skull will be too large..

I am a newbie of biology, I read the whole thread and all of you geneticists said it was impossible but why is it genetically impossible ?? Tell me please...I would like to know...

Thanks a lot

Regards,
Eluta

Hi Eluta! Well, Geuis was suggesting that
[..] replace all of the 1.1% chimpanzee genes with the human genes that occupy those positions in our genome.
If things were that simple, we could just create an artificial chromosome that carries all the human genes that the chimps is missing, put those into a single cell embryo and let it develop.

But as was said before, it is not 1.1% of the genes that are different, rather it is a measure of the amount of sequence that is the same between humans and chimps.

Thanks Monique a lot,

Regards,
Eluta

Well, that is how they say the first HIV infection took place.. so who knows how many hybrids have been born in the past centuries..

A thought just came up, a pregnant chimp will probably actually never deliver a hybrid, since the size of the skull will be too large..
If A human and chimp could actually breed, you'd be right about the human skull being too big for the chimps hips, but I highly doubt that humans and chimps would be able to breed at all. Any case of inter-species breeding I've ever heard of has always been within the same genus, and often things within the same genus can't even breed.

What is genetic engineering?

Genetic engineering is a scientific process that involves altering the genetic material of an organism, typically at the molecular level, in order to modify its characteristics or traits.

What are the potential benefits of genetic engineering?

The potential benefits of genetic engineering include improved crop yields, disease resistance in plants and animals, and the ability to produce pharmaceuticals and other useful products more efficiently. It also has the potential to cure genetic diseases and improve human health.

What are the ethical concerns surrounding genetic engineering?

Some ethical concerns surrounding genetic engineering include the potential for unintended consequences and unforeseen effects on the environment, as well as the potential for creating genetically modified organisms that could have negative impacts on biodiversity. There are also concerns about the social and economic implications of genetic engineering, including access to and control over genetically modified products.

What are the regulations in place for genetic engineering?

In most countries, there are regulations in place for genetic engineering to ensure that it is safe and ethical. These regulations may include strict testing and approval processes for genetically modified products, as well as guidelines for the ethical use of genetic engineering in research and development.

What role do scientists play in the moral question of genetic engineering?

Scientists play a crucial role in the moral question of genetic engineering by conducting research and developing technologies that have the potential to benefit society, while also considering the potential risks and ethical implications. It is important for scientists to engage in ethical discussions and follow ethical guidelines in their work to ensure responsible and beneficial use of genetic engineering.