Show that v < 5.5. How can we prove that?

• Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: UnderstoodHow am I going to prove that? I mean that V is < ...?Maybe try looking at the final momentum equation? Maybe try looking at the final momentum equation?
lioric
Two particles P and Q are moving in opposite directions along the same horizontal straight ine. Particle P is moving due east and particle Q is moving due west. Particle P has mass 3m and particle Q has mass 2m. The particles collide directly. Immediately before the collision, the speed of P is 7u and the speed of Q is v. As a result of collision the direction of motion of P unchanged and is moving speed 2u.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Total momentum initial = Total momentum final
For any collision
Total Kinetic energy initial > total Kinetic energy final

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
3m x 7u + 2m x v = 3m x 2u + 2m x ?

M canceled out from both sides

? = (15u - 2v)/2

This gives us the final velocity of Q in terms of u and v

Total KE initial = Total KE final

1/2 x 3m x (7u)^2 + 1/2 x 2m x v^2 = 1/2 x 3m x (2u)^2 + 1/2 x 2m x ((15u-2v)/2)^2

The halves and 3m cancels and we are left with(7u)^2 + v^2 = (2u)^2 + ((15u-2v)/2)^2

Now I'm stuck
I'm left with

49u^2 +v^2 = 4u^2 + (225u^2 - 60uv + 4v^2)/4

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Try solving for ##v_f - v##.

PeroK said:
Try solving for ##v_f - v##.
Could you elaborate a little bit more
I mean Vf - Vi is = to what?

Your final momentum equation can be written as:

##v_f - v = 7.5u##

Perhaps leave it like that. Now, what do get from the energy equation?

Hint: ##v_f^2 - v^2 = (v_f - v)(v_f + v)##

PS I assume you are trying to find the maximum final velocity of Q? That's what I've called ##v_f##.

PeroK said:
Your final momentum equation can be written as:

##v_f - v = 7.5u##

Perhaps leave it like that. Now, what do get from the energy equation?

Hint: ##v_f^2 - v^2 = (v_f - v)(v_f + v)##

PS I assume you are trying to find the maximum final velocity of Q? That's what I've called ##v_f##.
No I'm trying to prove that initial velocity of Q is < 5.5u

lioric said:
No I'm trying to prove that initial velocity of Q is < 5.5u
Try ##v = u## and see what you get.

Note: I think the question might be wrong.

PS or try ##v = 5u##.

Definitely wrong. I think I can see what the question should be.

PeroK said:
Try ##v = u## and see what you get.

Note: I think the question might be wrong.

PS or try ##v = 5u##.

Definitely wrong. I think I can see what the question should be.
No the question is right
May show a snapshot of the question?

IMG_0386.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 539
lioric said:
No the question is right
May show a snapshot of the question?

View attachment 216687

Okay, sorry, I was taking ##v## as a velocity. And, it's got nothing to do with energy!

Do you want to completely rethink the problem? Or do you want another hint?

PeroK said:
Okay, sorry, I was taking ##v## as a velocity. And, it's got nothing to do with energy!

Do you want to completely rethink the problem? Or do you want another hint?
Please give me another hint

lioric said:
Please give me another hint

Think about the possible range of values for ##v_f##. Hint: The two objects can't pass through each other!

PeroK said:
Think about the possible range of values for ##v_f##. Hint: The two objects can't pass through each other!

Opposite direction values?

lioric said:
Opposite direction values?

Another hint:

Why can't ##v_f =0##?

PeroK said:
Another hint:

Why can't ##v_f =0##?
It says that both objects were moving

lioric said:
It says that both objects were moving

That's at the start. Maybe P hit Q and stopped it dead?

PeroK said:
That's at the start. Maybe P hit Q and stopped it dead?

But it cannot cause the other particle kept moving
So unless P goes through Q, Q has to move move out of P's way cause P kept going in the same direction

lioric said:
But it cannot cause the other particle kept moving
So unless P goes through Q, Q has to move move out of P's way cause P kept going in the same direction
Yes, but Q can't get out the way, can it?

So, after the collision Q has a minimum speed of ?

PeroK said:
Yes, but Q can't get out the way, can it?

So, after the collision Q has a minimum speed of ?

(15u-2v)/2

lioric said:
(15u-2v)/2
Okay, let me tell you. P is moving east at ##2u##, so Q must be moving east at ##\ge 2u##

That's all there was to it!

PeroK said:
Okay, let me tell you. P is moving east at ##2u##, so Q must be moving east at ##\ge 2u##

That's all there was to it!

Ya so meaning that Q has to go faster than P
Understood
How am I going to prove that? I mean that V is < 5.5

lioric said:
Understood
just go to your momentum equation:

##v = 7.5u - v_f##

lioric said:
Understood

Is it by equating (15u-2v)/2 > 2u ?

Thank you very much

lioric said:
Is it by equating (15u-2v)/2 > 2u ?

Yes, but your reluctance to introduce the variable ##v_f## is going to hurt you in these sorts of problems. At this level, you need to introduce variables yourself without the question telling you which ones you need.

lioric said:
Thank you very much
Since I messed up, let me show you the trick for solving energy-momentum equations using the factorisation of the difference of squares.

From momentum we had:

##v_f + v = 7.5u## (1)

Note that normally this is ##-## but since ##v## is a speed we have a plus here. That's where I went wrong.

From energy conservation we get:

##2m(v_f^2-v^2) = 3m(45)u^2##

Then we use the factorisation of the left hand side and equation (1) to get:

##15(v_f - v) = 3(45)u##

##v_f - v = 9u## (2)

Now, equations (1) and (2) give you the solution for ##v_f##.

Note that it is usually much neater to do this than to generate a quadratic like you did, so it's a trick worth remembering. This technique is useful all over physics.

lioric said:
Two particles P and Q are moving in opposite directions along the same horizontal straight ine. Particle P is moving due east and particle Q is moving due west. Particle P has mass 3m and particle Q has mass 2m. The particles collide directly. Immediately before the collision, the speed of P is 7u and the speed of Q is v. As a result of collision the direction of motion of P unchanged and is moving speed 2u.

Homework Equations

[/B]
For any collision

[/B]

? = (15u - 2v)/2

1/2 x 3m x (7u)^2 + 1/2 x 2m x v^2 = 1/2 x 3m x (2u)^2 + 1/2 x 2m x ((15u-2v)/2)^2

The halves and 3m cancels and we are left with(7u)^2 + v^2 = (2u)^2 + ((15u-2v)/2)^2

Now I'm stuck
I'm left with

Please help

(1) Saying that " For any collision Total Kinetic energy initial > total Kinetic energy final" is false, especially when you later say that
"Total KE initial = Total KE final". If you used a non-strict inequality ≥ in the first statement, that would have been OK. Be careful!

(2) It is usually easiest to analyze such collision problems in the CM (center-of-mass or center-of-momentum) frame. This is a coordinate system that moves with some constant velocity V in the "lab" frame (which is the one you start with). In the CM frame, both the initial and final total momenta are zero. Furthermore, if the collision is perfectly elastic (conserving total kinetic energy) it becomes particularly easy to get final velocities: in the CM the speed of each particle remains unchanged before and after the collision. Of course, the individual CM-frame velocities may change directions--as in this problem, where they would reverse their directions in a perfectly elastic collision. Transforming CM-frame final velocities back into the lab frame is easy.

Anyway, you have obtained a quadratic equation for v in terms of u---just go ahead and solve it, using the "quadratic" formula. (I have not checked the details of your work, so I don't know if your final quadratic equation is OK.)

Last edited:
lioric said:

Homework Equations

[/B]
For any collision

[/B]

? = (15u - 2v)/2

Now I'm stuck
I'm left with

Please help

If the collision is perfectly elastic---that is, total kinetic energy is conserved---the given problem conditions are impossible: we cannot have a particle P of mass 3m and velocity 7u > 0 colliding with a particle Q of mass 2m and velocity -v < 0 giving rise to a post-collision velocity of 2u for P. For this to happen, the collision must be inelastic, with some loss of kinetic energy.

It is easiest to see this by going into the CM frame, as suggested in Post #25. In the original (lab) frame the total initial momentum is
$$P_i = 3m \times 7u + 2m \times (-v) = 21 m u - 2 m v$$.
The velocity of the CM frame is
$$V_{cm} = \frac{P_i}{3m + 2m} = \frac{21}{5} u - \frac{2}{5} v.$$
Therefore, the initial velocity of P in the CM frame is
$$V(P)_{i ,cm}= 7u - V_{cm} = \frac{14}{5} u + \frac{2}{5} v.$$
The final velocity of P in the CM frame is
$$V(P)_{f,cm} = 2u - V_{cm} = -\frac{11}{5} u + \frac{2}{5} v.$$

Now comes the clincher:
in the CM frame, both particles keep the same speeds in a perfectly elastic collision! (That is why the CM frame is so handy when dealing with perfectly elastic collisions: speeds remain the same before and after, and only the directions change.) So, if the collision is elastic, particle P bounces back in the CM frame at the same speed as it had initially; that is, the final velocity = -(initial velocity), so
$$-\frac{11}{5} u + \frac{2}{5} v = - \frac{14}{5} u - \frac{2}{5} v \; \Longrightarrow \; v = -\frac{3}{4} u.$$
We see that we would need ##v < 0##, meaning that initially particle Q is actually moving due east with speed ##|v| = (3/4)u##.

Conclusion: total kinetic energy cannot be conserved under the stated problem conditions.

So: how to proceed?

In the CM frame the particles do not "pass through" each other. Rather, particle P bounces back, changing from due-east travel to due-west; and particle Q also bounces back, changing from due-west travel to due-east. If you examine the implications of this fact for particle P you can get an inequality on ##v##.

@Ray Vickson Can you see yesterday's posts? I think you had this problem before.

This was all sorted out. The thread has been marked as "solved" in any case.

PeroK said:
@Ray Vickson Can you see yesterday's posts? I think you had this problem before.

This was all sorted out. The thread has been marked as "solved" in any case.

Maybe it was marked "solved", but I don't think it really was solved at all. The fact is that kinetic energy cannot be conserved in this problem, so any solution that uses conservation of kinetic energy cannot be correct.

That is what my latest post is about.

Anyway: about my "problem" (of seeming to ignore previous posts?): for some reason, on my system I sometimes do not see several responses until after I have made a response and pressed the "enter" key. In this thread, about 15 posts did not appear on my screen until after I made a post as well. This has happened to me many times before in this forum, but never before to the extent in this thread.

Ray Vickson said:
Maybe it was marked "solved", but I don't think it really was solved at all. The fact is that kinetic energy cannot be conserved in this problem, so any solution that uses conservation of kinetic energy cannot be correct.

That is what my latest post is about.

Looking at conservation of energy was a false start. The problem was solved more simply, without directly considering energy in fact.

As I recall, the energy and momentum equations give two simultaneous equations. Typically, problems have one of the two as the unknown.

Related to Show that v < 5.5. How can we prove that?

1. How do we define "v" in this equation?

In this equation, "v" represents a variable that can take on any numerical value.

2. What is the significance of v being less than 5.5?

The value of 5.5 is likely a threshold or limit for some specific condition or requirement. By showing that v is less than 5.5, we are proving that the variable falls within this limit.

3. What methods can we use to prove that v < 5.5?

There are several methods that can be used to prove that v is less than 5.5, such as mathematical proofs, experimental data analysis, or statistical analysis. The method chosen will depend on the specific context and data available.

4. Can we use a counterexample to disprove v < 5.5?

No, a counterexample cannot be used to disprove v < 5.5. A counterexample is a specific case that contradicts a general statement, but in this case, v represents a variable that can take on any numerical value. Therefore, a counterexample cannot be used to disprove the statement.

5. How can we ensure the accuracy of our proof for v < 5.5?

To ensure the accuracy of our proof, we can use multiple methods of analysis and cross-check our results. It is also important to carefully consider any assumptions or limitations in the data or equations used in the proof.